Gloat thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given that it's the same casting as I found long ago and assuming Pete's right..which I think he is...then it was probably a gunsmith's tool as this would have been bought as a casting which was a cheaper route and then infilled with what they had around...which tends me towards gunmaking.

Just my 2p worth.

Jimi

Thanks for your replies Pete & Jimi. I agree that the plane is a craftsman completed casting but I am not sure about the Gunsmith theory.
I agree the wood of the wedge is probably Walnut but I am not 100% convinced that the infill wood is even the same variety as the wedge.
Still, I am very happy with my purchase and for £40 including carrage it was very reasonable.
Pete -I wll try your tip of using a brass plate next time I am doing some photos.

Regards-------Arnold

I wished I could get a Record no 8 for £17.50!

Here's a Record 040 single arm small plough plane:
Record 040 left.JPG

Came from a job lot, so cost could be £3-5 depending how I split up the total price.

Attachments

• Record 040 left.JPG
    Record 040 left.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 878
tobytools":1ml4hmji said:
Spotted this on eBay, only bid for it as they where located in Bournemouth :)
Cost me £5.56 and came with two other jack. In the junk box.
This is my first badger plane.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqc8pishyyzml ... .55.15.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kt17sw73k5sg ... .55.36.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/33yhb7lzhh6jl ... .09.54.png

No makers mark that is visiable on plane, stunning patina and amazing condition.
Truley gloat worthy!

Thanks
TT

TT--Very nice plane at a good price too. When the time comes to replace that iron which is nearly worn out you are going to have fun grinding a square edged blade to the correct profie.
I did the same many years ago for a panel raising plane which has a simlar shaped blade. It took me hours!!!

Regards---Arnold

PS Please use Photobucket or Flicker to download your photos. So much easier for everybody to use!!

:) in regards to the photos thing i use (photo bucket) I will look into using another as this one seems to upset almost every one with Brocken links and having to open and close every links separately.

The plane is great. Never having a use for it today I still wanted one, the iron will be a pain I'm sure, I'll have to ask advice from a few blade experts.
Another gloat thread comming soon :)

TT

TT please do - I cannot view your photos on my iPad using Tapatalk nor on my PC using Windows?

Rod

Windows XP, Windows 7 and Chrome ok here too as is Android using Chrome on Galaxy S3

No problem on any of those pictures come up fine and in fairly high resolution too.

Jimi

Most odd as I can see all other peoples ones - and I've got Dropbox on my computers - am I supposed to access them through that?

Rod

phil.p":q15ssza2 said:
:) I don't even know what Dropbox is - but I just click and get them.
Thinking about it, I couldn't get the Times sudoku last week until I got rid of a month's cookies maybe your's has picked up something?

Dropbox is just storage area...Cloud thingy...really handy programme/system actually as all of my PCs synchronise in one place and I don't have to store images on one hard drive. Android phone, Android tablet...Win XP PC in house, Win 7 PC in observatory...Win 7 on laptop...they all ready the Dropbox folder and if you take a picture on the phone or tablet or insert an SD card in one of the PCs...the Dropbox is updated.

If I want to post here though I send my images from there to my webspace...and that will display rather than error which Dropbox will do here. No idea why though.

Jimi

tobytools":29xqvusl said:
Nice one Steve.
What information you got on the stanley bench plane?
99p now that a amazing price. Better that carboot price

My latest purchase.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121374885184

Was local enough to collect,

TT

Nun at the moment have to wait till I pick it up on Friday. looks like a no6 in the photo
Pick the woody up last night and there are in good condition and the blades are sharp.
I am one happy boy

And that is a nice set of chisel you got there

Steve1066":2xv86tgq said:
tobytools":2xv86tgq said:
Nice one Steve.

My latest purchase.

TT

Nun at the moment have to wait till I pick it up on Friday. looks like a no6 in the photo
Pick the woody up last night and there are in good condition and the blades are sharp.
I am one happy boy

Keep us posted on what you got so you can truley gloat :)

I know can't believe I got them for that price, ended on Sunday and picked up Monday, everyone mush have been asleep. The person I got them off is a professional furniture maker (contempery furniture) he was shocked they went for so little to. I believe he's upgrading to LN chisels.
Next project make a chisel rack ;)

Best thing tho. Is they are mega flat on the faces and are wicked sharp, no work needed to be done
TT

Hello,

He should 'upgrade' to Ashley Iles. The set of unhandled ones I've just got are absolutely superb. Haven't had time to do any handles yet, but I took the wax off and flattened the backs and they are remarkable. The lands are super fine, cannot see how LN ones could be better in that respect. And of course they are O1 carbon steel, rather than LN's A2. I honestly think these Iles chisels are the best Weatern chisel you can get for sensible, fine work.

More when I have some handles to show.

Mike.

tobytools":1q56o045 said:
Steve1066":1q56o045 said:
tobytools":1q56o045 said:
Nice one Steve.

My latest purchase.

TT

I am one happy boy

Keep us posted on what you got so you can truley gloat :)

I know can't believe I got them for that price, ended on Sunday and picked up Monday, everyone mush have been asleep. The person I got them off is a professional furniture maker (contempery furniture) he was shocked they went for so little to. I believe he's upgrading to LN chisels.
Next project make a chisel rack ;)

Best thing tho. Is they are mega flat on the faces and are wicked sharp, no work needed to be done
TT

Nice to see he went through with the sale. I've had stuff suddenly get broken, and told it's no longer available when I won at silly cheep prices .

Back