Gloat thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's one on Ebay now, with the front taken off, permanently :p

Record 077A converted to chisel plane s.JPG

Edit: went for £51+P&P!

Attachments

• Record 077A converted to chisel plane s.JPG
    Record 077A converted to chisel plane s.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 821
Just got these of eBay, allways wanted a japanese chisel, and I like mortice chisels, so win win.
One of the chisels is unknown to me, it's almost like the blunt chisel technique.
I'll know more when I receive these.

What you think.
Got these for under £30
May seem a bit pricy but hey we love and learn.

TT

tobytools":3l7lp0pt said:
Just got these of eBay, allways wanted a japanese chisel, and I like mortice chisels, so win win.
One of the chisels is unknown to me, it's almost like the blunt chisel technique.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wps8g5uf3hv6 ... .17.47.png
What you think.
Got these for under £30

TT

tobytools":1j4t7mpf said:
tobytools":1j4t7mpf said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wps8g5uf3hv6 ... .17.47.png
What you think.
Got these for under £30

TT

I think you possibly did very well indeed! Of course...pictures of the faces would be nice but I think it's a valid gamble.

More pictures when you get them please!

Jimi

tobytools":2ywpwv51 said:
Well spotted vann. I know you've been looking for this a while now.
Bravo
Racers":2ywpwv51 said:
Very nice Record No8 Vann.
Vann - in another thread":2ywpwv51 said:
tobytools- from that same thread":2ywpwv51 said:
Have you got that no8 up and running yet?
It's arrived. It was poorly packaged - if the postie had dropped it, it would have broken 8-[ But fortunately it's complete and in surprisingly good order - apart from the obligitory surface rust.

However I've put it aside - my shed time ATM is going into my blacksmith's post drills, and into reviving a few tools with and for my 9 yo daughter (who's showing an interest).
R83MFa.jpg
R85ML.jpg
It's a type 3 (1945-52ish), but with no patent date on the 2-piece cap-iron, so post-1947. Handles are not beech, but I'm not sure that they're rosewood either (rosewood was not the norm from 1939, but continued to show up randomly for quite a while after that - presumably each time stocks ran low and they got to the old ones near the bottom of the barrel). Most of the transfer is still on the tote. Very little chrome left on the front of the lever-cap.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• R83MFa.jpg
    R83MFa.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 842
  • R85ML.jpg
    R85ML.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 842
Im glad I never sold my no8. Thanks to the wise words from Pete (thank you)
Looking good vann.

What are your planes with it now? Wip

Cheers
TT

Hi Toby. I might do a WIP towards the end of the year. As I said earlier:
Vann":v5ax7ggs said:
...I've put it aside - my shed time ATM is going into my blacksmith's post drills, and into reviving a few tools with and for my 9 yo daughter...
Not every purchase is gloat worthy. I feel more like a goat :shock: than a gloat over this Record No.5 I bought last week...
R56ML.jpg
R51LL.jpg

The seller said it was very rusty, but suggested it could be done up. I'm trying to get a partial refund because he failed to mention the break. But I think I'll be out of luck :( . It was a type 1 (1930-39) complete with nickel-plated screws - but the iron is so badly corroded it's probably going in the scrap bin (assuming the seller doesn't take the whole thing back).

Ahh well, yer wins some an yer looses some #-o

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• R56ML.jpg
    R56ML.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 828
  • R51LL.jpg
    R51LL.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 828
Shame about the type1, you truley are the gatherer of rusty planes lol,
I've been looking for a vintage post/pillar drill myself to restore ;)
Seen a few but not local enough so I'll be keeping an eye out.

I've basically sold all by bailey pattern planes apart from a few that I use.
Limited space and all that.

I've got my eye on a marples plane ATM, tho I don't want to slip down the slope again.

Cheers vann.
Stay in touch
TT

tobytools":163td1k1 said:
....I've been looking for a vintage post/pillar drill myself to restore ;)
Seen a few but not local enough so I'll be keeping an eye.

Are you talking about one of these?
image.jpg

I have has this for ages and all I have managed to do is strip and refinish the base. Too many projects on the go at once! One day soon I will get round to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 763
RKrush":2ryebijz said:
Mine are more the American style.
C61ML.jpg
This is a Canadian Blower & Forge No.61 that's nearly finished. Unfortunately I don't have a table for it.

S14ML.jpg
This is a Sliver Mfg Co. No.14, before I took it to bits to cart home (on the train :roll: ). Two loads so far, about 2/3 of the total drill. The remaining third is still at my sister's - 450miles away :!:

And I have four more in various states of disrepair :oops: - Yup, there's even a post drill slope, and I'm on it...

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• C61ML.jpg
    C61ML.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 726
  • S14ML.jpg
    S14ML.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 726
Vann":2ab9d6iu said:
RKrush":2ab9d6iu said:
Mine are more the American style.
This is a Canadian Blower & Forge No.61 that's nearly finished. Unfortunately I don't have a table for it.

This is a Sliver Mfg Co. No.14, before I took it to bits to cart home (on the train :roll: ). Two loads so far, about 2/3 of the total drill. The remaining third is still at my sister's - 450miles away :!:

And I have four more in various states of disrepair :oops: - Yup, there's even a post drill slope, and I'm on it...

Cheers, Vann.

We all love a slope, weeeeeeeee!!!!

TT

Hi Folks---I bought this shoulder plane on EBay a couple of weeks ago. The body is brass / bronze but I have had trouble getting a decent photo which shows the true colour of the body. I paid £40 inc postage which i thought was very reasonable.
I am not quite sure what species of wood the infill is. It seems rather light in weight for rosewood.

Have a good gloat !!! ------Regards Arnold

That's nice Arnold

+1 on getting the body colour right, I have the same problem, you need to have something the same colour as the body at an angle where it reflects back into the camera lens.
I am planning to raise my plane up and put a large sheet of brass where it reflects on the plane.

My Corian infill plane by maddpete, on Flickr

Thats the best I have done so far.

Pete

P.S. the infill looks like walnut.

Latest posts

Back