Flying Dutchman blades breaking!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought some Flying Dutchman blades to try out after reading about them here, I have had a lot of breakages with them which is unusual as my blades are normally replaced as they wear out rather than break. The blades are the Ultra-reverse type and in fairness the ones that broke are No 1 as I am doing some fine piercing work on plywood.

In the end I got so fed up with them either pulling out of the lower clamp (Hegner) or actually breaking that I resorted to finish the work with standard non reverse blades.

I realise that they are thin blades but I am not new to fretwork and am very careful not to force the work but I must have had at least 6 break today while normally it rarely happens, also as I mentioned above; on at least 8 occasions today the blade just pulled out of the lower clamp during one piece of work, I tried 3 different clamps but it made little difference, it is very frustrating when this happens.

Has anyone else had any problems with the thinner FD ultra reverse blades? :)

Scrimper I use a No 3 when I am using 6 mm plywood,it depends on the thickness of the plywood.I think that a No I would be used for cutting very thin veneers,the No 3 Ultra Reverse may suit you better,I have been using another brand of No 3 reverse and have just received my blades from Mike and not tried them yet.

Bryan

I not a big fan of reverse tooth blades for fine work no 1 or 3 tend to use normal ones , until I seen that you were a seasoned scroller I was going to suggest maybe to much clamping pressure as that normally the biggest culprit on thinner blades

mark

In the last few years I switched over to using reverse blades for almost everything; normally the Niqua but I have used Olsen too. I have only been trying the FD blades for a few days.
I do normally use No3 or 5 for delicate work but what I was cutting yesterday was very delicate indeed and I found it difficult with the No3.

I occasionally use a 00 reverse tooth blade which are very easy to snap which is why I thought I would try some FD No1 blades. I am careful about tension in the blades and I don't force the work. Maybe I am just expecting too much from these delicate blades?

In the old days when I used a hand frame or a treadle machine I did have breakages but after switching to a powered saw about 25 years ago I found that blades wore out rather than break!

The main reason I use the reverse blades is that I do often do fine work and have difficulty sanding without damaging the work, with reverse blades the work is almost perfect straight off the machine. :)

Scrimper I too did not realize how seasoned scroller you are,I used the hand saw at the start.Sorry to say that I did not have the pleasure of the A1 etc,but having the one I have now it is a dream to use.I agree with you that if you do a lot of internal cuts reverse blades leave both sides of the wood clean.Most of the wood I use is plywood.

Happy Scrolling

Bryan

I've tried FD blades, they were ok, but I get on fine with my 5r blades from Hobbies UK, cheap as chips and no problems at all.
Malc

malc75":y6w88wat said:
I've tried FD blades, they were ok, but I get on fine with my 5r blades from Hobbies UK, cheap as chips and no problems at all.
Malc

Malc,
Please can you post a link to the Hobbies' blades.
I've tried googling but can't find them. Probably doing something wrong :/

Thanks in advance

Rich

Also lot's of Fretsaw blades for sale on ebay, even some British made ones!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

Be careful of the quality of some though, especially Silverline, I have not tried their fret blades but other silverline products I have tried have been useless! (A water pump that went bang after a few hours with it's replacement going the same way and some sanding belts that snapped at the join almost instantly!)

Any idea what blades they sell at the first link? There's no pictures and no mention of manufacturer.

I'm wanting some blades to cut thinnish (0.5 - 1.00mm) brass and alloy but I have no idea what to buy. Methinks it's time to do some research.

Martin.

I have a couple of hundred of those Eclipse blades that I bought before I knew any better. Every one I tried to use broke, even on the Jet saw, which is very forgiving.

Isn't Silverline one of the Lidl brands? I suspect people are buying from Lidl to sell on ebay. If their other tools are anything to go by, I wouldn't use them for landfill. On the other hand....
You can buy some good stuff from Lidl, my vac for instance (so far), but I always avoid Silverline.

martinka":a7o4sg8t said:
I have a couple of hundred of those Eclipse blades that I bought before I knew any better. Every one I tried to use broke, even on the Jet saw, which is very forgiving.

Isn't Silverline one of the Lidl brands? I suspect people are buying from Lidl to sell on ebay. If their other tools are anything to go by, I wouldn't use them for landfill. On the other hand....
You can buy some good stuff from Lidl, my vac for instance (so far), but I always avoid Silverline.
I don't think Silverline is Lidl TBH although they may have sold stuff from that brand.

Silverline has been sold by other companies such as Tool station and Screwfix in fact I would not be too surprised if they were not connected with Screwfix as they both operate from Yeovil?

martinka":kh63iv08 said:
Any idea what blades they sell at the first link? There's no pictures and no mention of manufacturer.

I'm wanting some blades to cut thinnish (0.5 - 1.00mm) brass and alloy but I have no idea what to buy. Methinks it's time to do some research.

Martin.
According to their printed catalogue they sell Niqua and Eberle Blitz blades.

It's a long time since I bought anything from Hobby's I prefer the Hobbies company in your link.

scrimper":2ckkdnl0 said:
I don't think Silverline is Lidl TBH although they may have sold stuff from that brand.
Silverline has been sold by other companies such as Tool station and Screwfix in fact I would not be too surprised if they were not connected with Screwfix as they both operate from Yeovil?

Maybe I'm thinking of the Silverline DVD player I bought from Lidl 7 or 8 years ago. Dunno if it was the same company, so, good or bad, I should apologise to Silverline Tools. I see Lidl give a 3 year warranty when they sell Silverline Tools so some of 'em must be OK.

Back