Fitting stair case.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmoore1

Reaction score
Hi.

I am about to order a stair case to fit in an outbuilding I am going to be using as a bit of a workshop. I have joined out the upstairs and laid chipboard flooring. My question is when I order the stairs they ask for the total rise to finished floor height. Will the stairs fit on top of the chipboard floor so there will be a lip at the top of the thickness of the top tread, is this standard practice or should the chipboard be notched out and the stairs rest onto the joist?

Many thanks

Jon

I think the top tread is only a nosing that attaches to the Trimmer Joist at the top of the staircase, so the top of this nosing would be flush with the top of your chipboard floor. There is one more riser than tread to allow for this.

There will be a bit of MDF/Pine or whatever the rest of the treads are made from approx. 50 - 70mm wide and slightly longer than the width of the staircase This is the top nosing and should sit on the trimmer around the joists so the top of it finishes flush with your floor
This is usually supplied loose and is fitted after any Newels and stringers are cut. Use it mark the area of the flooring that you need to remove for it to sit on the trimmer/ joists and then fit it to the staircase before fitting the stairs

RogerBoyle":svn7ndt9 said:
There will be a bit of MDF/Pine or whatever the rest of the treads are made from approx. 50 - 70mm wide and slightly longer than the width of the staircase This is the top nosing and should sit on the trimmer around the joists so the top of it finishes flush with your floor
This is usually supplied loose and is fitted after any Newels and stringers are cut. Use it mark the area of the flooring that you need to remove for it to sit on the trimmer/ joists and then fit it to the staircase before fitting the stairs

As above but the budget flights sold down here in sunny Devon have a fixed, part top tread at about 70mm wide.
After you have made the seat and plumb cuts, you may have to pack the top tread (and the string each side) or the flooring to match any different flooring/tread thickness, where they meet. Simples HTH Regards Rodders

Back