first attempt and thanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsea_uk

Reaction score
I've posted a couple of times on here as a total newbie (bandsaw v's tablesaw and advice of a new record v's axminster lathe).

As a result I looked harder for a 2nd hand lathe.

Well I ended up with a Tyme Avon (for a mere £55) with chisels, faceplate, screw chucks and a chuck with jaws that i have yet to work out how to use (It looks a little like a 6-1 universal - but I'll be taking photos soon and asking for a bit of help as I've spent ages scratching my head on it).

Anyway today was the first ever try and it went pretty well at least in my mind - sharpened the chisels, and had a crack (using a shaped round blank).

It's not finished needs a bit of smoothing, sanding and the foot removing and the photo's are a bit rubbish but thought you may like to have a look.

So a big thanks for the thoughts so far and I have to say this seems quite a lot of fun :)

Attachments

• bowl1.jpg
    bowl1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,165
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 1,165
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,165
An Avon for £55 :shock: ? You are one very lucky guy. The Avon is a seriously underrated piece of kit; OK, it's not cast iron, but on a solid bedboard it's very capable. Look after it and it will serve you well.
(not going to admit how much my Avon fetched when finally sold :D )
And if that is your first ever attempt with a lathe, congratulations - you've started well.

Well done for first go.
Found a tyme avon lath for my brother-in-law nice little lath, he paid more than you did :roll:

As said before For a first not a bad job. Look forward to seeing more. Looks like a fair bit of kit for the price most times you would be lucky to get just the lathe for that amount.

Well done, not bad for a first attempt ... Things will get better the more you practice ...

Welcome , £55 some of the gouges would cost that much . Many of the turners started off with that lathe some may still have one .

Very good effort for your first attempt =D> .You have just put your foot on the slippery slope good luck .

My first lathe, had it for over 20 years. It was the first lathe I learned to turn on.

I had a 3 day course with Chris child in 1991 ( I think it was Chris, might have been his son/brother?)

We learned on Tyme Avon Lathes, and it was on that basis that made me buy one.

Great lathe! enjoy it! (hammer) (hammer)

John. B

Back