finish for CNC carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolyon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've made a box out of a dark hardwood (possibly mahogony) and I've used the CNC machine to carve a fairly elaborate design into it. I want to find a way to make the carving stand out, by being either darker or lighter than the surrounding wood. I might stain the main wood darker, so I guess I'm looking for a way to rub something lighter into the indentations which I can remove from the surrounding wood, that will stop the dye penetrating into the carvings, or else something like a light wax that will actually fill the carvings to some extent. Any ideas?

when i do it i seal the wood first with 2 coats of sanding sealer then cut the design, then paint or stain the board, then sand flush leaving the painted carving and the natural wood outside.

The end grain bits where the carving has exposed it will absorb more finish and naturally darken more anyway. It is very dependant on the design. If you have enough depth then you could sand half a mm of the flat part after applying finish to take it off.

Back