Finally getting round to doing the bathroom!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says, she who must be obeyed has finally had enough of our 70's green bathroom suite and decided we need a new white one!! Only the one question I have as I am doing the work myself and everything is going back where the old stuff was but......tiling!! Its feasible if I do the shower enclosure first then do the rest of the bathroom when thats back in action but would I be better off tiling the whole room then fitting the bath, shower, basin and toilet to the tiles or fit the suite and tile to them? The cost of saving a few tiles by missing out the bits behind the bath isn't really an issue but if I tile first is it just a case of a generous blob of silicone all round or do I really need to tile afterwards?

I would rip out and replace the bath suite and shower, one at a time, remove old tiles as you go, repair any plaster and
Retile to the finished items and any pipe boxing last
Mark a level tile line all the way around at bath fixing level, tile up and then down for the best finish.
Use a batten for the bath level, beside the bath, and all the rest, and work out the bottom cuts last
You're new suite will likely be a different size, and now metric too, so unlikely to be the same sizes.
Have you had a look at the shower cladding, for the inside? just a thought
Regards Rodders

Not enough information. Bath type? Location? Standalone? Against a wall? Tiled walls and/or floor? Shower enclosure to be tiled ? Type of shower enclosure. Where fitted. The list is endless.

Ah ok.......bath is a up against the wall type as is the shower tray, quadrant with an enclosure, tiled floor and walls. Pipes I think are to be boxed in at floor level apart from the 4" stench pipe which runs up the wall next to the toilet.

Blackrodd thanks for the tips but I was really just asking whether to tile first of fit the units and tile to them! Did look at the shower cladding but decided against it as swmbo had already picked the tiles she says I like!!!!

Is your shower enclosure one of those totally sealed ones - ie with the two quadrant walls part of the shower?

If you are tiling along the top of the bath then you fit the bath first and then tile down to it. Fill it with water when the tiles have been grouted and dried. Then apply your silicone bead.

Rip it all out except the toilet
make good the walls for tiling.
Fit bath and shower tray
Tile over bath and shower tray, you can use the bath as soon as its fitted.
The shower valve and enclosure are fitted on top of the tiles, as is the toilet and basin.

The toilet can come out early one morning and you should be able to tile behind and under using a rapid set adhesive in one day and install the new toilet same day.

Trying to do it bit by bit will take longer and not look as good.

You may get away with tiling before the bath is fitted but not the shower tray.

Timing doesn't really matter as we have a spare toilet and basin...the only thing I need to have is either a working shower or bath, can't do both at the same time....hoping to do the shower area this bank holiday weekend as I have all that already (bath, basin and toilet coming next wednesday)...so if I read the advice properly (yes I know its extra tiles but I allowed for that) I can do the shower area and make that useable, then rip out the toilet, basin and bath, tile completely at my leisure and fit the new units on top of the tiles then seal (when the baths full) with a goodly seam of silicone?

Most baths are designed to br tiled down onto and there would be a large gap between the bath if you fitted to an already tiled wall. Also it is unlikely that your wall is perfectly flat and tiling down gives a fair degree of leeway to take this out. Just completing a full bathroom refit myself. Now on my seventh bathroom refit and they always take longer than expected. Did two where I needed to keep online and went OK but needed careful planning.

spinks":2av7hutd said:
hoping to do the shower area this bank holiday weekend as I have all that already

Are you intending to tile all the walls or just separate bath, shower and toilet areas? If not you would need to do the bath first to establish the line of tiles starting at the top edge of the bath and follow that around the room.

got to do the shower area first as theres a large block wall to be taken out (the old shower wall) and I dont want to be smashing blockwork when the new bath is fitted....I will have to look at the new bath when it comes to see if the gap is ok for sealant or whether I have to do the whole tiling to the bath when fitted thing!!

Back