File Recovery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Rather than highjack the XP thread I'll start a new one.

Recently my laptop died, I was running Vista and I'm pretty sure the registry became corrupt, to cut a long story short the computer siezes up just after it loads the desktop.

I've subsequently bought a new laptop, this time running Windows 8, however as I hadn't backed up most of my files from my previous laptop I though they were now lost.

Would I be correct in assuming, (from reading the XP Help thread), that I can buy an interface to allow me to recover the contents of my old HDD onto my new laptop? If so, could someone advise what I need to get or link me to where I could find the info, (in laymans terms please :) ).

I'm not trying to recover programmes, just photos spreadsheets and CAD files.

Regards Mick

You might try putting your old hdd in an external case and plug it into your new laptop. Then you might be able to access.

You just need an Sata to USB adaptor (if its an Sata drive) . A laptop hd can be powered from USB fine. I've got one somewhere that came with an SSD you can have if its useful.

such devices sometimes known as Hard drive caddies are cheap (< £10) on eBay and good enough for occasional use. If you manage to salvage your files you could go onto reformat and partition the old drive to use a backup device or offline storage. I the drive isn't damaged you could pop it back in the PC and reinstall an OS and have a usable machine again.

mseries":37t2j9xj said:
such devices sometimes known as Hard drive caddies are cheap (< £10) on eBay and good enough for occasional use. If you manage to salvage your files you could go onto reformat and partition the old drive to use a backup device or offline storage. I the drive isn't damaged you could pop it back in the PC and reinstall an OS and have a usable machine again.

+1

I've done exactly that several times and keep one as extra backup for work stuff and another for photos. I have 7 spares of various sizes and all but the early low capacity are very useful.

Just an aside for anyone who has a mechanically faulty hard drive - take it to bits - as well as destroying your data permanently, it will provide a very powerful magnet for the workshop.

Bob

Have you tried safe mode ?

If that doesn't work, one of the many boot cd's available on the internet, plus a usb stick, will give you a copy of your files

Hi

Thanks all

I've tried starting in safe mode but it still won't boot up so I'm going to give a caddy a try - silly not to at those prices.

Anyone know if Windows 8 will be an issue, both of the caddys that Lons linked to don't list Win 8 compatability - is this just the advertising being slow in keeping up with the times?

Regards Mick

I think it will be OK. Windows 8 is essentially Windows 7 under the covers, just a different user interface.

Hi Mick
What mseries said. I'm pretty sure all of them will run under Win 8. The first link says it does in any case
Supports Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8

Bob

Spindle":2ap160wp said:
Hi

It arrived this morning and I have now recovered all of my data - next step will be to try re-installing an OS and revitalising my old lappy.

Brilliant :D

Thanks all Mick

Excellent. Have a try with Linux - there is no registry to get corrupted, go on, what's to lose ? If you can't get on with it, start again with Windows

Back