Weird thing on my computer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wonder if anyons can explain this to me?

I have some DVDs of the New Yankee Workshop which I recorded on my Panasonic DVD player / recorder from the television series some years ago. Last night I decided to play them on my laptop, running on Windows Vista. I 'explored' the first DVD and up came 3 icons relating to a video film. When I let autorun operate, I had a film playing. When I pressed the 'next' button I had another film, and then a tv program on underwater life. I thought I must have overwritten the NYW before finalising the DVD.

Next DVD - exactly the same. Third DVD - same 2 films, no underwater tv programme this time. Strange indeed.

So this morning I put the 3 discs in my Panasonic and I had - all my NYW programmes. No films, just Norm Abrahams.

Anyone have anh idea what that is all about?

K

Windows is "probably" unable to play the DVD as a video out of the box. Install a player that can. VLC probably can on Windows, try that.

I'd guess that it couldn't play the dvd, and then defaulted to playing content from your 'user/My videos' folder.

But if that was the case, I'd expect it to say it couldn't read the dvd.

.. also 'video film' ... haha!

I suspect Wuffles is bang on the money there, and would second the suggestion of VLC.

Windows doesn't include the necessary software to be able to play DVD's "natively" due to licensing restrictions.

I'd go with unfinalised multi-session disk, unfortunatly I have googled quite a lot of possible solutions and didn't come up with much to suggest :(

I'm with Wuffles on this, but with one extra possibility: it may be that one pf the two DVD recorders is out of alignment, to the extent one can't read the other's recordings. Given the way DVDs are made this is unlikely, but possible, particularly if they are old recordings or one DVD machine is a lot older than the other.

It looks as though it's defaulting to playing something quite irrelevant on the machine's hard disk. VLC is excellent.

Latest posts

Back