February challenge - The Results

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
drum roll...................

from the judge...

Hi Nev

The results are in!!

Not so many entries this month but those that entered have given me a tough job!!

file.php

1st- henton49er. A classic design, well executed and finished to a high standard.

file.php

2nd- heatherw. I liked the unique design of these. I have never seen queens like this before but they clearly are a queen have been turned and finished very well.

file.php

3rd-dennisk. I have to confess that these knights are not to my taste but I must take my hat off to the design and execution. It is rare that you see a matching pair of anything turned off-centre as it is such a pig to replicate what you did the first time.A clever and well thought out idea. Good work!

file.php

4th- Nev. A lovely pair of Castles. I would have liked a little more definition on the quirk at the bottom but well turned and finished to a classic design.

file.php

5th- barrywat. A nice pair of bishops, well turned and finished. A nice balance to the design.

Well done everyone that entered. As always I am happy to give feedback on any of the entries.

All the best

Richard

Congrats to Mike - 2 firsts in a row! must be something in the water :wink: and thanks to all that managed to an entry in, just about into double figures, lets see if March 's challenge can get some more. (will be up before the end of the day)
If anyone has any questions as to how and what was done etc post them in this thread so we can spread the knowledge

Roundups & scores

Mod Edit: Images added.

Wow!! I must be doing something right!! :D :D (I know, I'm getting better at photography rather than woodturning! :lol: :lol: ).

If I can include December last years result, that is three wins in a row (cracker, acorn box and chess pieces).

I thought that the overall standard was very high this month and I particularly liked heatherw's queens and nev's bishops (which were unfortunately not his competition entries).

Well done everyone, and thanks to Richard for the judging and nev for the organisation.

Looking forward to March's challenge.

Congratulations henton49er, I thought yours were the best as well.

I'm over the moon because I thought I'd blown it with my dig in. Let me say here that I have very little experience in turning, so if I can do it anyone can. Get positive everyone and get those entries in next month. (I'm glad the spec is going to be out today because I'm going to need a lot of time to think about this one)

(And I'm still in love with Dennisk's acorn)

Congratulations to all the entrants, some excellent turning. Really pleased to get 5th place with only 2nd ever entry, as I found these a lot harder than last months acorn, getting 2 to match was really hard. May consider making the rest of the set if I can find enough time.

Thanks to Richard for the judging and Nev for organising. Looking forward to the March challenge, determined to start early this month.

Barry

congrats to the winners - some nice pieces there

I really enjoyed doing the challenge as it forced me to start using the skew that I had set to the side so , even though my entry wasnt good enough to make the top 5, I certainly improved my skill set which was the main reason I wanted to take part in the monthly challenges in the first place

well done again to all

Well done, all who entered and particularly Mike and the other podiumites.
I'm hoping this freeze-a**e weather goes away so I can brave it into my shed!
Cheers
Greg

gregmcateer":1udyeeo9 said:
Well done, all who entered and particularly Mike and the other podiumites.
I'm hoping this freeze-a**e weather goes away so I can brave it into my shed!
Cheers
Greg

And there was me thinking that you spent all winter skiing!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done to all who entered ,To the top five an extra well done .
Great work by Richard and Nev. It's great to have something to look forward to each month .

Thanks to all for the pleasure.

boysie39":2kghcstc said:
Well done to all who entered ,To the top five an extra well done .
Great work by Richard and Nev. It's great to have something to look forward to each month .

Thanks to all for the pleasure.

+1 above =D>

The challenges really do make me think about objects and techniques I wouldn't have thought about trying. Thanks to Nev for running the challenge and the very detailed and constructive feedback I received from Richard.

Watch out Henton49er, I'm on the case now to catch you. :lol:

Phil

If anyone ever gets around to it and finishes a whole set (or at least one of each piece) I for one would like to see a pic or two, especially the non 'standard' pieces like Heathers and Dennisk 's.

nev":n35gjbb6 said:
If anyone ever gets around to it and finishes a whole set (or at least one of each piece) I for one would like to see a pic or two, especially the non 'standard' pieces like Heathers and Dennisk 's.

Well, it won't be me, nev. The mere thought of making 16 identical pawns is enough to turn my blood cold. :shock: :shock:

You could play a turner's version of chinese whispers - copy a pawn and pass your copy on. Be interesting to see how the first and 16th pawns differ after 16 different people had had a go!

Martin

sadly I still have most of a 'bishop' between centres on the lathe (where it's been for weeks) but things are 'clearing'...

good to see the range of entries to this challenge, very interesting.

also great to see Richard's comments against the relevant entries - extremely helpful; thanks.

Martin10":2xcqoe9p said:
You could play a turner's version of chinese whispers - copy a pawn and pass your copy on. Be interesting to see how the first and 16th pawns differ after 16 different people had had a go!

Martin

I like that idea - what do you reckon, folks? How about a simple piece for us early-turners and see what happens? :?

gregmcateer":38nm9ufo said:
Martin10":38nm9ufo said:

Martin

I like that idea - what do you reckon, folks? How about a simple piece for us early-turners and see what happens? :?

I like it too, so I'm in.

For the cost of a bit of postage, this has got to be worth the crack.

Phil

thnks to Nev and to RIchard for his comments. Yes they are a pig to replicate but it needed to be done. I also made a crazy bishop but now I cant find it. Also cant find the crooks. Will post a pic of the bishop if I find it, thanks again to admin and the winners and all who entered. Lets keep this thing going(he says who lives 8000 miles away!)dk

Back