Euro locks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best way to open a door without a key is to back your car up to the letter box, drop a metal bar through the letter box with a chain attached to the centre. Attach other end to tow bar then drive off.

This thread has been very timely for me. I am very soon to move house, the property previously rented so a desire on my part to change the barrels in the PVC doors. I appreciate there are numerous ways to break in, the change of barrels is to prevent a previous key holder simply walking in. But I also have to satisfy my insurance who quote the following requirement

"A mortice deadlock with at least 5 levers, or locks to BS3621 fitted to the main entrance / exit door, or double glazed units with a minimum of a 3 point multi locking system."

I have never owned a PVC door in the past but assume its multi point locking, I believe its about 4 years old.

So are there Avocet ABS MK3 anti snap locks compliant with the above standard?

http://www.abloyshop.co.uk/avocet-abs-m ... s-13-c.asp

Its not obvious to me whether they are or not but maybe I'm being a bit dumb.

Cheers for the help

Mark

Mark, your door will need to comply with the multipoint locking criteria. It will almost certainly have at least 3 locking points, systems with less are very rare, and usually pretty ancient.

There is nothing you can do to make your multipoint lock meet the BS3621 by changing the cylinder, as the BS3621 rating is applied to the entire lock assembly. Modular components cannot be rated to BS3621, as the mechanism they will be fitted to is unknown.

There are BS kitemarked cylinders, but these are rated on different criteria. A good antisnap cylinder will improve your security, but depending on the age and type of MPL it may be frosting on a cowpat.

Thanks Setch
Having read by requirements again insurance wise, the way I now read it is that as long as my PVC doors have 3 point locking system(which I'm sure they will) they will be insurance compliant? The "or" seems to seperate the BS standard from the 3 point system as a requirement. So just need to change the barrels for my own piece of mind. Or am I reading this wrong?

Mark

If I can resurrect this thread, I have just moved into my new house 2 days ago. I want to change the cylinders as it used to be rented out and I have no idea who had access to keys previously

I have a couple of questions however

2 of the doors I have had the cylinder out no problem. On one door I can only get it so far then it sticks and won't go any further. 2 pics show it at start and how far I can move it, which is about a cm. I have tried pulling it from both sides which makes no difference. Anyone any ideas what's holding it. Have tried several times and did what I did on the other doors.

Mark

Here's the pics

The after pic is at the top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 859
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 859
My second q refers to my French doors. One side no prob. The other side has the middle joining strip attached. How do I get it off to get to the screw holding the cylinder? I thought it might be fixed behind the locking plates but it's not. Anyone know?

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 859
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 859
Euro cylinder -usually the locking snib has to be at an angle to retract from the lockcase, this means turning the key whilst trying to extract the cylinder. If you look at the cylinders you have taken out, when the key is set straight the snib will be set at an angle. Maybe the lock is a bit more awkward than the ones you have got out easily.

On the French doors, you may find that you will have to unscrew the upvc flying mullion fitted to the slave door to uncover the multipoint lock.

Thanks Robin
I have now got the awkward cylinder out, had to be angled perfectly and was also tight, but out to measure and back in now.

I still cant work out how to get the centre strip off the french doors to uncover the lock, there is nothing to unscrew. Anyone?

Mark

wizard":32zsyk1v said:
Whenever i have moved house i have always taken the door locks with me to fit in the new house.
Me too. I have a set of keyed-alike cylinders. When I move in I replace as many original locks as I can, and keep them for when I move out.......

Hopefully we are settled for a long time now, though.

Phill

If there are no visible screws on the flying mullion, perhaps it was screwed on from the glass rebate side -maybe sonebody with more knowledge of upvc systems may be able to confirm.

Usually the screws, if not visible, will be hidden behind keeps (where the bolts/hooks lock into).

Is it possible to drill a 10mm hole behind the latch plate to gain access to the retaining screw? The hole should be hidden by the plate afterwards.

Thanks Robin and Dean, I'll have another look tomorrow if no one else comes along with any ideas.

Wizard the Yale and deadlock from the wooden doors in my old house are of no use to me here.

Mark

Latest posts

Back