Euro locks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu_2":1m1d9mdc said:
I use the Mut-T-Lock brand, and my mate swears by Avocet, but I guess they're just a better level of deterrent to the average scrote looking for a quick and easy target.

I'm amazed the insurance industry hasn't been more prescriptive over the locks used on domestic properties, although I think the best deterrent is probably a decent alarm system, or dogs. Preferable both :)

That was what I was getting at, Stu. I remember years ago getting kite marked mortice locks because the house insurance insisted on them. One of the YouTube clips I watched showed a woman who'd been broken into moaning that the insurance co. would only replace the lock on a "like for like" basis - but why would they wish to replace an inefficient lock with another one the same? They don't seem to have much idea.

phil.p":2b1ypjte said:
Stu_2":2b1ypjte said:
the insurance co. would only replace the lock on a "like for like" basis - but why would they wish to replace an inefficient lock with another one the same? They don't seem to have much idea.

Because the cover she's paid for was "like for like" and although it seems stupid, the insurance co will not pay out for more expensive items than those originally fitted - that is the responsibilty of the insured person. Common sense says that they should pay the value of the original locks but insist she upgrades at her expense otherwise they would refuse insurance or increase premiums.

I'm no fan of insurance companies but the "customer" has a responsibility to make sure his property etc is secure and those who don't put up the costs to the rest of us who do. Don't get me started on fraudulent claims!

The security industry has a lot to answer for as it can't be so difficult to develop better locks surely and remember most of us (and the scrotes out there) would have little idea of how to get past a lock if it wasn't for the web and bloody youtube.

Bob

phil.p":63z24u2w said:
Those Avocet and Mul T Lock look good, But I couldn't see a price for spare keys - dos anyone know offhand? Presumably they can be cut to a code rather than a copy?

http://www.barnsleylockandsafe.co.uk/Pr ... K-DELIVERY

On Avocet, you get a card with them which you need to produce when getting a copy.

On the website, it appears that you can just enter the code, but either way you still need that code.

The last time that I had a traditional key cut it was about £4, so that rate doesnt look bad at all.

So if like me you live in a modern house with UPVC doors, what is the best option for replacing the locks with something more secure? Is this the kind of thing you could do yourself or would a locksmith be required?

Thanks,
Chris

it is really easy to do. Easy enough to whip out a cylinder, measure and pop it back. Then same again when you have ordered a replacement. you will need to measure each one, they may be different. And dot leave too much to stick out of the handles when fitted.

Thanks guys, they seem ridiculously easy to change. I will measure my locks tonight and order some Avocet locks to replace them.

Okay, it seems it is not so simple in my case. The lock on the outside on my conservatory behaves exactly as expected with a the lock being removable once the large Phillips head screw is removed. Unfortunately the other locks on the house do not have a large Phillips head screw holding the lock in place, there is a hole in the door instead which I think has a screw with a fancy head at the bottom of it. The head looks a bit like a radiation symbol I think, but it is hard to see.

cgarry":19pvdyqt said:
Okay, it seems it is not so simple in my case. The lock on the outside on my conservatory behaves exactly as expected with a the lock being removable once the large Phillips head screw is removed. Unfortunately the other locks on the house do not have a large Phillips head screw holding the lock in place, there is a hole in the door instead which I think has a screw with a fancy head at the bottom of it. The head looks a bit like a radiation symbol I think, but it is hard to see.

From your description it makes me think of the one way screw,

Here is the wiki that shows the screw types:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Thanks Dave, I think you could be right. This is the best photo I could get of the screw:

lock_screw.jpg

Attachments

• lock_screw.jpg
    lock_screw.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 912
Just renewed my insurance when asked if i had good door locks i said no, did i have an alarm i said no, did i have window locks i said no, was i in a neighbourhood watch area i said no, when i got my quote it was £150.00 cheaper.

cgarry":l2aj02w8 said:
Thanks Dave, I think you could be right. This is the best photo I could get of the screw:

Photo isn't clear enough Chris but looks as if it might be a standard "torx" screw. They're very common and you can buy sets of bits very cheaply.
Bob

That screw is just an allen screw, almost certainly on a Yale multipoint lock. Comes out exactly the same as any other euro, but the mechanism covers the hole when in the locked position as an additional security feature.

Setch":2gmp6th1 said:
That screw is just an allen screw, almost certainly on a Yale multipoint lock. Comes out exactly the same as any other euro, but the mechanism covers the hole when in the locked position as an additional security feature.
=D>

You are correct that it is a Yale multipoint lock and I am now sure you are spot on about it being an simple allen screw! I was so busy concentrating on the detail in the middle of the screw that I failed to notice the large hex shape around the outside. Doh!

Thanks, the job has just become simple again.

Anti-snap lock mean jack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOYBbI8ZfA you just need to snap them twice. My front door has a BS standard euro anti-snap, anti-pick and anti-bump. I can pick it and bump it with a key that took me a few mins to make, its quicker to bump it than use the correct key!!!

I suppose your average thief is not going to attempt to pick it or maybe even bump it they will just find an easier target.

Matt

Latest posts

Back