• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Esta Bruck/Barke Self Set holders and knives - 260mm long and Knife setting jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no idea

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a set of three Esta Bruck/Barke self set planer knife holders together with 12 double sided disposable knives. These are 260mm long and are a direct replacement for 260x25mm planer knives. The holders have tangs to hook onto the cutter block to register the correct height whenever knives are changed to save the hassle of having to set knife heights. However the tangs can be filed off if they make the holders sit too high for your planer and the jack screw set can be used to replace springs if your planer has them to permanently set the blade height. There are details on the Advanced Machinery site if this helps: ESTA Knife System (advancedmachinery.co.uk)

I bought them for a Jet JPT260 but never used them due to upgrading to the JPT310.

I am also including a set of knife setting jigs and two sets of three standard HSS knives (260x25x3mm) - one set is used and needs sharpening (Knifepoint brand) and the other is a brand new unused set from Woodford.

£150 for everything either collected from Harrow, Middlesex or can post (I assume around £10 to post).

20210525_214028.jpg

Photo of the tangs on the self-set holders - these locate on the cutter block to register the height of the holder/knife pairing.
20210525_213941.jpg

20210525_214652.jpg

Hi - I did think about this system recently, but would you consider without the magnetic setting jig as I already have one?

These are still have available. I had forgotten about them so thank you for the useful reminder :)

Feel free to message if you want to purchase the holders, blades and/or setting jig.

However the tangs can be filed off if they make the holders sit too high for your planer and the jack screw set can be used to replace springs if your planer has them to permanently set the blade height.
If you remove those tangs then you have taken away the single biggest advantage of using this system which is that there is no setup required, you just drop the knives into the holder and tighten otherwise you might as well use the OEM knives. This means the knife setting jig is pointless because on first time fitment you need a straight edge to set the knives in relation to the outfeed table and then no more setting.

These are still have available. I had forgotten about them so thank you for the useful reminder :)

Feel free to message if you want to purchase the holders, blades and/or setting jig.
Hi there, how much would you be asking for the magnetic knife setting jigs?
Ian

If you remove those tangs then you have taken away the single biggest advantage of using this system which is that there is no setup required, you just drop the knives into the holder and tighten otherwise you might as well use the OEM knives. This means the knife setting jig is pointless because on first time fitment you need a straight edge to set the knives in relation to the outfeed table and then no more setting.
I appreciate you are trying to be helpful in a for-sale thread but you don't seem to understand what I've said. The Esta holders are available with and without tangs. The version without tangs is used where you either have knife height setting screws or, for planers that have springs, you replace the springs with the jack screws. Once this has been set up, you can replace the disposable knives without having to reset the knife height like you would if you used resharpened knives. The version with tangs remove the need to set the height with jack screws but may not be suitable for all planers because the dimensions of the knife block relative to the table may not be suitable. If the tanged version is unsuitable for a particular planer, I've suggested filing off the tang and use the jack screws instead if the block has springs to achieve the same benefit. Remember, once the height of Esta knives are set, you don't need to adjust them again when replacing the knives because the Esta knife holders provide a fixed reference between the block and disposable knife. If you use OEM knives that have been sharpened you will need to readjust to account for the reduced knife height so there is still a benefit with the Esta holders with the tangs filed off.

because the Esta knife holders provide a fixed reference between the block and disposable knife.
I have the Esta system fitted to my PT107 because it was just a PITA to set all three blades, in hindsight I would have brought something with Tersa knives and there is a thread about this which might be a good read. We might have our terms mixed up, I thought you were referring to the small protrusions on the carriers that locate them in relationship to the cutter block which allows for the knives to be just dropped in and tightened without any setting or fighting with those springs like I had on the PT107 as shown by the arrow

1716067947269.png

Without these you are back to having to set the blades which defeats the objective.

I will add that for anyone with something like the PT107 that this is a really good setup and these carriers are £71 + vat each plus the knives , so recommended.

1716068214332.png

Latest posts

Back