Erbauer EOS450 or Metabo SXE450

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White_vinyl

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced sander. One of the key factors for me is dust extraction, and I plan to purchase decent mesh pads (Abranet or Bosch) and attach to a wet or dry vac. I would say I will be an occasional user to do a rather than a daily sander

Sadly, my budget doesn't extend to a nice Mirka or Festool model, so I'm in the bang for buck market. The two models that have caught my eye on here and elsewhere are the Erbauer EOS450 and the Metabo SXE450.

My question is: is there any advantage that can be seen from paying almost twice the price for the Metabo? My guess is that the vibration and noise is probably lower, but for the occasional use I believe I can probably live with that. Is there anything I may have missed?

Whichever you go for I recommend the use of a pad protector. This is a sacrificial hook & loop layer between the pad and the abrasive and is much cheaper to replace than the pad itself. You can buy them in packs of 5.
Brian

Whichever you go for I recommend the use of a pad protector. This is a sacrificial hook & loop layer between the pad and the abrasive and is much cheaper to replace than the pad itself. You can buy them in packs of 5.
Brian

Very helpful advice; I've never thought of this, but I have definitely had issues with this with other machines.

I have the Metabo; it's well built and I cannot fault it. Main advantage would be it has 2 orbit settings: 2.8/6.2 mm so you can remove material quick and work your way up to a fine finish.

Metabo are a different league to Erbauer. Metabo every time.
Mirka are the best sanders in my experience or the Mirka Deros "copy" ones by sealey and others for a cheaper option.

Ollie

Thanks all. It sounds like the Metabo is worth the cost difference. That was my instinct too, but I wasn't sure whether it was actually worth it, but the orbit settings are likely to be worth it alone. I don't want to 'buy cheap buy twice'.

I did see the Makita too, but the cost jump between that and the Metabo isn't too big.

The Metabo does vibrate a bit, but that's comparing it to £300+ sanders.
In use it has a relatively low pitched sound and feels like a good quality tool.
It's quite heavy. Well suited to doing large flat surfaces. I once used one with 40 grit discs rough sanding some raw roof timbers in situ. It certainly removed wood, had decent extraction and the dust connection port is very robust. For keen DIY use I'd say it will be great, just not something to use for hours on end, especially on vertical surfaces.

+1 for Metabo ive had mine for many years.two orbit sizes are good and you can even get finish down to a polished finish it's that good.
Has variable speeds also.
Ive got a piece out of a B&D sander that fits inside and then connect Henry to it that way apart from dust it keeps discs cooler which also lessens balling on discs which then heats them up so makes less effective so Henry's a win win.
Sanded oak flooring down with it as couldn't get a Triplex sander on hire mate said it won't do! When through it like a scolded rat up a drain pipe!. about 40sqm on that part and didn't take long either mate was so impressed went out and bought own one!.
There is/was a Dewalt version which is same Metabo ive got when saw it they also do a few others turbo tec.
There is also a systainer case for them also

I did the HAV stats for our power tools at work in 2021.

What surprised me was the difference in vibration levels between Erbauer and the higher end Makita and Bosch sanders.

The Erbauer Random Orbit sander was so high I’ve taken it out use.

That is VERY interesting to know. Although most of the sanding I do is currently fairly minimal, we do have a house that is constantly under renovation, so there is always the potential that we may decide to sand a floor, for example, so it does seem like the Metabo will be able to cover most of the potential uses in future.

I did the HAV stats for our power tools at work in 2021.

What surprised me was the difference in vibration levels between Erbauer and the higher end Makita and Bosch sanders.

I have an Erbauer 1/2-sheet sander that has very little vibration. Idid have the Metabo disc sander but the vibration was almost unbearable (I have carpal tunnel), so sold it & bought the Makita - 'purrfict'!

I have an Erbauer 1/2-sheet sander that has very little vibration. Idid have the Metabo disc sander but the vibration was almost unbearable (I have carpal tunnel), so sold it & bought the Makita - 'purrfict'!
It’ll tell you the M/S2 in the spec sheet in the instructions or on the website.

Back