Dust Extractors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morpheus83uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was at the Harrogate Show a few weeks back and I was looking at dust extractors. The guy at Lumberjack Tools was pointing me to their 1200 drum extractor and away from the larger bag / filter. He was telling me not to waste my money with the larger extractor as the suction would be better and the drum extractor and better for a lathe.

I was also looking at the Charnwood W796 professional extractor so I could run it all day.

What would you guys recommend and why?

I would have thought that the larger charnwood would be better for the fine particles when sanding and the drum would be better for things like when using a thicknesser and chip collection. I could be completely wrong though! Hence asking the experts!

Thanks

James

From what I’ve read/heard, impeller type extractors (chip collector with bags) can have the hose further away from the workpiece (on the lathe) compared to a vacuum type.

You definitely need a ‘fine’ filter (usually 1 micron) on it or vent it in a different room, partition or outside if using a standard bag filter.

ive never used a chip collector on the lathe so I can’t speak from experience. I can describe my setup if it’s any use. It’s a twin motor Camvac connected to the axminster 100mm cyclone (on the ax website it says you need a powerful chip extractor for it but the 2 motor Camvac has been fine).
i use it on the lathe a lot, the type of work I do allows me to get the hose pretty close and it has no problem catching the dust from a fair distance.

Thank you for your response. I was looking at a charnwood which suggests it's air volume is 1000m3/h which I have read is what's required for pretty much all woodworking machines. So would I be able to use this with a cyclone? On the Axminster sit it suggests it has to be a 1.5HP extractor but the Charnwood is 1HP. So I don't want to get it to find performance is greatly reduced or if there is another solution?

Thanks

James

Back