Dust extraction port

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samfire

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 4inch Clarke belt/dic sander but the dust extraction port is too big for my vacuum nozzle. Where can I get a reducer? I know a vacuum isn't ideal for the task I'm going to use it for, but its for very short infrequent use only.
Thanks
Sam

Hullo Samfire,

I've no idea where you can get an adaptor 4 inches into whatever size your vac hose is, but here's what I did for my new scroll saw (which has a ridiculously huge outlet!):

- 2 bits of 22 mm scrap ply (adaptor needed to be quite long for this particular job);

- screw/pin/glue the 2 bits together then right through with a hole saw nearest the INTERNAL diameter required;

- small rotary sander (in pillar drill) SLOWLY removing a little by little from the internal bore until a tight fit on the vac hose;

- scroll saw (jig saw would do) to cut out the outer diameter of the ply adaptor;

- ditto small rotary sander to SLOWLY remove material until a tight fit on the end of the adaptor to be fitted to the tool;

- in my case (temporary joint required so vac can be decoupled from time to time) 3 x small RH wood screws on one end, suitably-sized Jubilee Clip on the other (TIP: always choose the nut-headed fastening screw type of clip, NOT the screw driver slot only type of clip - they're carp IMHO);

- if removal from vac not required, bathroom silicon/polyurethane glue/whatever you have, to bond hose end to ply adaptor and tool, supported while drying overnight with gaffer tape/small screws.

Worked OK for me, and leak proof as far as I can tell. Just FYI, OD of my adaptor is 79 mm, ID 49 mm. Finished with a coat of varnish ('cos I had it) & to look decent, but has no practical function.

HTH. If you need a pic just ask, but it's VERY simple n doesn't take long.

AES

I'll be pleased if it helps Samfire. Plenty of people on here have helped me with all sorts of stuff.

BTW, the idea is certainly not mine, I've seen it on here before (I think) and certainly on various Youtube videos.

Another BTW, you don't need to use ply like I did, just about anything will do, but if your final wall thickness is on the thin side (i.e. wall thickness is OD minus the ID, then divided by 2 equals about 7 or 8 mm or less) then decent ply is probably the best choice.

Cheers

AES

P.S. Why can't manufacturers (of vacs and of tools) standardise on diameters I wonder?

And another idea is to keep your eyes open for sales/special offers of plumbing, drainage, rainwater, and electrical conduit bits & pieces in the DIY Emporia. I've found a couple of bits & bobs which have sat on my shelf but then helped solve these problems.

Samfire":1mo9xyz5 said:
I have a 4inch Clarke belt/dic sander but the dust extraction port is too big for my vacuum nozzle. Where can I get a reducer? I know a vacuum isn't ideal for the task I'm going to use it for, but its for very short infrequent use only.
Thanks
Sam

This is probably what you need, but you probably weren't expecting to pay this price for it :shock:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-stepped-hose-reducer

Blimey pcb, that's a lot of dosh for what is, effectively, a short length of tapered pipe! Personally I find an hour or so fiddling with a couple of bits of ply, and/or cutting up odds n ends of plumbing etc pipes and a Jubilee Clip or 2 somewhat more cost effective. And NO, I'm not originally Scottish!

But OTOH, it's good to know that such things exist for when "all else fails".

AES

I have the same sander Sam and tried various adaptors and found none worked great when using the belt sander section so now i made a rectangle funnel out of an old plastic milk bottle and attached that to my vacuum cleaner nozzle using some duct tape.... i then clamped it so it is directly behind the rotating belt (far left if looking from the front) using an adjustable spring clamp. Whenever i am sanding using the belt sander i just turn the vacuum on and the vac sucks most of the dust that would normally end up all over my workshop straight into the funnel :cool: I bought some adaptor for my bandsaw and guess what they are rubbish and don't work so will have to invent my own solution....... I;m slowly getting there but its lots of trial and error and having wasted quite a few quid of parts that basically aren't fit for purpose will go the DIY route everytime.
Jubilee clips come in very useful for diy projects so worth keeping some in stock, try pound shops for them for bargains.
Cheers
Brian

Back