Dust port sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themack

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently setting up my workshop with a simple shop vac and cyclone. That part was easy. My to be connected power tools however, seem to have different sizes of dust ports ranging from 214 mm for my Makita sander to 400mm for the mitre saw, 420mm for the planer etc. It is driving me mad. According to the sizes I'd need 8 adaptors ! Is there any other way ? What about those cheap cut to size ones like here?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...3610&sprefix=dust+collection+,aps,138&sr=8-48

seem to have different sizes of dust ports ranging from 214 mm for my Makita sander to 400mm for the mitre saw, 420mm for the planer
Unless you are operating some huge industrial machinery - your numbers for dust ports sizes do not look right. In a domestic workshop I would not expect anything above 100mm

Anyway - industrial machinery aside:
- Best option - get yourselves a 3D printer and learn to use it.
- Second best option - Cen-tec quick click system (I'd start with 5 piece set like this, but do shop around for a better price)

Any other option is going to cost you more (either time or money or both) in the long run.

Like you, I cannot be dealing with 100 different sizes of dust port. I convert all my tools to two sizes, I have a small (I think it's 38mm OD), and a large (100mm). i.e tracksaw, router, sanders, chop saw.

Any machine that is in the 20-50mm size I permanently leave on an adapter which fits my small hose nozzle (that goes to the cyclone etc).
Any machine that is >50mm has an adapter to fit the 100mm hose (which goes to the HVLP extractor). i.e Large bandsaw, Planer/Thicknesser.

I use the push fit plumbing fittings from B&Q where I can, sometimes I have to use some insulation tape to increase the size of a port if I need to make it a bit bigger for a snug fit on my B&Q pipe fitting. They are cheap and it is handy to be able to have some bends etc in places that are a pain to get to. I did try the cen-tec ones that @fleyh mentions, they seem fine but the adapters were quite long and so protrude off the tools too much for my liking (again probably fine if you have a big space but I have to work with the area I have).

The perfect solution would be to have tools all plumbed in to extraction permanently, but that isn't possible for a small workshop like mine and where only one tool is in use at any time.

Standard PVC pipe comes in 20mm, 25mm (electrical conduit) 32mm, 40mm, 50mm (waste pipe), 68mm (rainwater down pipe), 110mm (soil pipe). Underground cable duct may be available in 75mm.

The solvent weld joiners go over the OD of the corresponding pipe, so they add a whole new diameter range (but in very short format).

As it is a thermoplastic, warming it with a hot air gun allows it to be swaged out or swaged in to almost any reasonable diameter.

Have a look on YouTube for videos of the "best PVC pipe trick ever" genre and you cna see the process.

If you are a woodworker and need a mandrel of a specific size, you can turn one.

Transitioning from one to the other can be achieved using vinyl flooring, I know, who would have guessed, I do have a lot of odd ideas like this!
Measure the circumferences and draw it out adding an inch overlap for the glue, and jubilee clips to grip onto the machine and hose outlets.
Ian

The answer’s definitely the 3D printer and the Cen-tec system.

In my workshop, I have a Camvac extractor connected to a 63mm ducting spine. Table saw, router table, disc sander and drill press are connected to it via blast gates and 63mm flex ducting. An outlet above my workbench has a blast gate and a Numatic (Henry) threaded connector (3D printed).

I then use a Cen-tec 38mm flex hose to connect to portable tools on the bench. I’ve printed a number of Cen-tec to tool specific adaptors that are more compact than those that Cen-tec supply.

I’ve also printed Numatic to 63mm and Numatic to 50mm adapters.

Happy to share STLs if there’s interest.

I had the same problem / gripe. I posted my comments on a tool supplier web site asking what we could do to get the manufacturers to adopt 3 or 4 "standard" size dust ports. In the end, I bought a 3D printer and now make my own for each non standard machine. I use the FreeCad 3D software as it can easily make a transition duct and it is free. You don't want a stepped duct as these will greatly reduce the amount of vacuum reading your machine (I was an aircraft engineer for 40 years so I'm familiar with airflow principles). I don't think we will be able to get the manufacturers to adopt standard sizes, at least not in my lifetime. And we really don't want Health and Safety to get involved!

Why would manufacturers standardise dust ports, the market in multiple port adapters is huge and they're probably behind the scenes in it too 😂😂😂

The answer’s definitely the 3D printer and the Cen-tec system.

In my workshop, I have a Camvac extractor connected to a 63mm ducting spine. Table saw, router table, disc sander and drill press are connected to it via blast gates and 63mm flex ducting. An outlet above my workbench has a blast gate and a Numatic (Henry) threaded connector (3D printed).

I then use a Cen-tec 38mm flex hose to connect to portable tools on the bench. I’ve printed a number of Cen-tec to tool specific adaptors that are more compact than those that Cen-tec supply.

I’ve also printed Numatic to 63mm and Numatic to 50mm adapters.

Happy to share STLs if there’s interest.
LOL. It reads as if I wrote it about my setup.
The only thing I would add is that 3D printed adapters have a female Cen-Tec compatible port.

2024-04-01 12.21.25.jpg

2024-04-01 12.23.34.jpg

And for tools where male cen-tec port is not practical - there is a male cen-tec of adapter
2024-04-01 12.18.36.jpg

2024-04-01 12.18.58.jpg

Hi all

I am currently setting up my workshop with a simple shop vac and cyclone. That part was easy. My to be connected power tools however, seem to have different sizes of dust ports ranging from 214 mm for my Makita sander to 400mm for the mitre saw, 420mm for the planer etc. It is driving me mad. According to the sizes I'd need 8 adaptors ! Is there any other way ? What about those cheap cut to size ones like here?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...3610&sprefix=dust+collection+,aps,138&sr=8-48
You are measuring the diameter of your dust ports (and not the circumference) ? I only ask because 214mm for a Makita sander dust port seems HUGE !

Hi all

I am sorry, yes there is a decimal point missing ...doh...:eek::sleep:
I have a 3d printer (filament), but I thought there might be an easy solution quickly solved.
Thanks for all your answers though, gives me food for thought.

Hopefully @Myfordman won't mind me posting this link to the other place showing a simple method for making adaptors which I found useful.

https://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5523&p=87648&hilit=adaptor+dust#p87648
Clever idea. Unfortunately the application is limited to tools producing dust rather than chips and direction from smaller to larger diameter.

I used something similar with my Makita corded hand planer - i.e. chips + going from larger (planer) to smaller (hose) diameter - had to stop planing every few minutes to unclog. Eventually replaced such connector with an appropriately sized plastic bottle and duct tape. Got a much better result.

Hi all,
Lots of useful ideas in these posts. Like many I have been struggling to get my head around all the different port/tube/hose sizes since starting my workshop build. Per other posters (comfortingly) I chose the Camvac as the base extractor and I have just bought a 63 mm ducting kit from Axminster to act as a spine round the workshop. That will cover my table saw, newly built router table (100mm flex), band saw & mitre saw (63 mm gates). With the Axminster kit I will have more than enough fittings/gates to add extra take off ports. My 100 mm flex off the Camvac will connect directly to the TS/RT or a 100 to 63 reducer for the 63mm ducting. I will now be taking a close look at the Cen-tec system for my various power tools (or B&Q lol).

As a note I will have a fair bit left over from the Axminster kit that I wont need but when I costed it up the kit does offer really good value when compared to buying the individual parts so I would certainly recommend the kit.

Jackie

Still at it, I have now got the Cen-Tec kit and a cyclone. 3d printed a couple of adapters to go with some odd port sizes and now I'm sort of stuck. I have connected the 63mm cyclone hose to hoover and have got a 63 mm hose coming from cyclone to go to equipment. However, the Cen-Tec kit fits onto a 32 mm hose, which I have from my hoover. Can I now connect the 32mm hoover pipe to the 63mm cyclone outlet or does it affect suction in some way? I can make a 63mm to 32 mm adapter on 3d printer..IMG_20240418_161158.jpg 32mm hoover pipe to mitre saw with Cen-TecIMG_20240418_161138.jpgNeed to connect those two IMG_20240418_161042.jpgHoover to Cyclone

Now I slept over it, perhaps it is not possible flow wise to commect the hoover hose to the 63 mm cyclone due to the flow? The hose from the cyclone to the shop vac (parkside) fits perfect. The hose going from cyclone to tools is 63mm too, but ideally I need 32mm as all the connectors are 32mm and the 63mm hose delivered is relatively short. Does it matter if I extend the 63mm hose going to the tools with the 32mm hose which has the adapters?

Of course, you can add all of this to your hose, however, you have to bear in mind that with every extra cm of hose lengthyou reduce the effectiveness of the system, and more-so with any hose diameter changes, you also reduce the effectiveness of the system quite significantly in some cases.
This is particular issue for HVLP systems however, I think your one here is a suction based system which can tolerate hose diameter reductions a little better.

Fundamentally it comes down to whether you can tolerate the effectiveness of the system. If it makes a big difference in ease of use for you, then you may as well try it with all the adapters that you intends to use and see. If it turns out that it’s ineffective, then you will have to go back to the drawing board.

I run a HVLP system for my machines that produce chips. And a separate LVHP system like yours through a cyclone for smaller tools - Mine goes from vacuum to cyclone via a 80 mm pipe, then out of the cyclone in a 63 mm pipe, before changing to a 32 mm pipe at the end. It would be more effective if I maintains the large diameter until the end however it would be a pain to use. im satisfied with the balance with mine.

I did try the connection system that you have got, but I found the connectors to be too unwieldly and long to be practical in use

Back