Dust extraction hose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a dust commander cyclone with 55mm ports, I'm assuming I'll have to get 63mm hose and 'pack out' the difference, anyone else had this problem and where's the best place to buy the hose?

TIA

Stew

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. I kept with my 32mm (ish) hose and just found a bunch of pipe fittings from b&q to Jerry rig it together
9ccfa761d2a3b27401acbf3daa1b730c.jpg

Let me know if you want details on which fittings I got

Old thread I know....

Matt
I am thinking of getting the Dust Commander and blue tub like in your above photo
Will the barrel need re-inforcing to prevent implosion which I have read about ?

Will fit it to my Nilfisk vacuum

Can't speak to Matts but my first attempt was with a 25L version to my Nilfisk - it lasted seconds. 2nd attempt was a 25L bucket type thing with a screw top from Ebay.

My choices were :
Standard blue plastic drum (takes the suction OK unless you let the hot exhaust from the vacuum blow on and soften it)
50mm coldwater aquarium hose (cheap, tough)
Car radiator hose clamps (cheap, strong, pretty well plated against rust)
Floplast 48mm or any equivalent solvent pipe couplers ( outside dia fits snugly into the dust commander ports) sand out the ridge on the inside for smooth airflow.
Karcher commercial vac on a shelf above the drum (that sits on the floor)
18mm ply disk as a stronger lid for the barrel and
cyclone set halfway down into the barrel so it's better supported and not so stupidly unstable
Image00001.jpg
roughly like this
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20190305_180924.jpg
Here it is being used to remove plaster dust from a loft
20190305_180634.jpg
with 10M of hose between vacuum and cyclone

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 245
  • 20190305_180924.jpg
    20190305_180924.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • 20190305_180634.jpg
    20190305_180634.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 127
THIS
Looks good but expensive -- well liked by the reviewers :)

Amazon are a tad coy disclosing which country it is despatched from and how long delivery

edit
...just noticed this
Designed and assembled in France

That tin drum set looks smart but you are paying £45 odd for a steel can. Ouch !

In answer to the questions above:
The Flo Plast fittings I picked up a couple of years ago from (probably) B&Q or Screwfix say 48mm WS08, BS EN 1455 B CS, and ABS on the side. Now you know as much as me :). Mine look just like the ones in your link but the white ridge around the middle is on the inside, not the outside.
The thing that matters though isn't the inside diameter of the fitting (or maybe the ID of the pipe they are meant to be used with) which is what the 48mm will refer to, it's the coincidence that these fittings are a slide fit INTO the dust commander connections and a loose but not sloppy fit into 50mm acquarium hose. They just let you join two equal sized pieces of pipe together. In practice I clamp them into the hose and just slide the white ends into the cyclone.
Buy the cyclone then just take it down to B&Q and your local plumbers merchants and try things to see if they fit :D

The trick to fixing the cyclone in the lid is to make a stack of plywood rings and another bottom about 4 inches below the lid. The whole thing looks like a stubby top hat, with a hole in the top, dropped upside down into the blue barrel. If you figure out your dimensions, the cyclone screws into the lower piece of wood like normal but is supported all round because it's a snug fit where it passes through the bigger disk.
You can still knock the barrel over but now you'll never damage the screw connections around the lower opening of the cyclone. Adds a bit of weight too, to resist the pull of the hoses.

Latest posts

Back