Drain advice needed please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very likely, in a 120 years old building, that the drainage is combined. In relatively modern construction the foul and surface water drains are separated, with the foul water going off to a treatment works and the surface water going into a nearby watercourse or soakaway. I think the subsoil in Bedford is predominantly clay.

Personally, if it's possible to install a drainage gully at the lowest point and connect a 100mm drainage pipe into an adjacent manhole, I'd quietly go ahead and do it.

Altheo":146sytum said:
Personally, if it's possible to install a drainage gully at the lowest point and connect a 100mm drainage pipe into an adjacent manhole, I'd quietly go ahead and do it.

Yes, good idea. Use the 1 metre driveway drainage they sell at chewfax.

powertools":1ezl5bwq said:
Chas has summed up the problem very well.
I spoke to building control yesterday and it would seem that even though the surface water has drained away into a drain behind the end terrace for 100 years the owner is within his rights to block this drain as long as he has made provision for his own surface water to drain away which he has.
As with most problems of this type it comes down to it being a civil matter and we could take legal advice but at the end of the day it would seem that we are all responsible for our own surface water and I feel that it may well be the best option and cheaper to put in our own soak away.

I would suggest that this Dodgy neighbour is rather hacked off with yourself.
I would be rather wary of someone who would go to all all the effort and expense in spite.
Should you have the space you would need a 6'x6' trench 2' deep for a soakaway pit.
I suggest, when you know this person is out and property empty, photograph everything that you possibly can, try and get ahead of the game!
These people tend to be bully boys in the main, so i would try and be ready for his next silly move.
HTH Regards Rodders

blackrodd":nqcopds9 said:
powertools":nqcopds9 said:
Chas has summed up the problem very well.
I spoke to building control yesterday and it would seem that even though the surface water has drained away into a drain behind the end terrace for 100 years the owner is within his rights to block this drain as long as he has made provision for his own surface water to drain away which he has.
As with most problems of this type it comes down to it being a civil matter and we could take legal advice but at the end of the day it would seem that we are all responsible for our own surface water and I feel that it may well be the best option and cheaper to put in our own soak away.

I would suggest that this Dodgy neighbour is rather hacked off with yourself.
I would be rather wary of someone who would go to all all the effort and expense in spite.
Should you have the space you would need a 6'x6' trench 2' deep for a soakaway pit.
I suggest, when you know this person is out and property empty, photograph everything that you possibly can, try and get ahead of the game!
These people tend to be bully boys in the main, so i would try and be ready for his next silly move.
HTH Regards Rodders

Thanks for the advice.
I have got so many things on the go at the moment I could well do without this.
The neighbour purchased the property in an run down state and is just doing improvements and enhancements on the cheap in order to resell at a profit I haven't got a problem with that but he has no long term interest in getting along with the rest of the owners in the row.
Without any consultation and with no party wall agreement in place he went ahead and removed his half of a sloping roof that covered the rear of both properties and started to increase the height of the what was an internal wall to re make another roof at a higher level on his property.
He had made no provision to stop the damp from what was now an external wall on his side seeping down into the internal wall of both properties and I asked to stop the work until I had seen the drawings and had a party wall agreement in place.
He took no notice and just carried on so I had no choice bet to take action that resulted in him having to stop work and demolish his wall to put in proper provision to prevent any future damp problems.
He was far from happy and I have got no interest in getting involved in another problem with him.

Altheo":39vjair1 said:
It's very likely, in a 120 years old building, that the drainage is combined. In relatively modern construction the foul and surface water drains are separated, with the foul water going off to a treatment works and the surface water going into a nearby watercourse or soakaway. I think the subsoil in Bedford is predominantly clay.

Thanks for that I think that is what I will do.

Latest posts

Back