Do I stick with a Bosch GTX 10 XC?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought one of these for fitting a kitchen and other jobs around our new home. Those jobs are largely done now do onto setting up a workshop in the garage.

1dadd1c2c1d3662a5fb3c7d6f09ccebb.jpg

My plan is to build a cabinet tablesaw, possibly with the router in there too which I did years ago in a previous life. Thinking it through the bosch is built for portability, which isn't important for a cabinet, for example its fence rail is realitively short and the bed isn't cast iron.

So do I sell it and get something else? Its a fantastic saw for what it does I'm just not sure.

Budget is tight, so whatever I sell it for is going to be close to the budget of its replacement (3 to 4 hundred)

Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yankee Norm has a plan for using a small saw in a fair sized table top made from melamine and ply.
I have one to get rid of if you lived nearer.
Uses an aluminium clamp with a wood surround as a fence.
Could also house a router too.

Rod

Mods, can you move this to the tool review thread? Not sure how I got it in the wrong one!

i have the same saw for my home workshop, i love it, its small, powerful & i find it to be accurate, for the money i dont think anything else comes close... im aware the little axminster's are highly rated but the 250 which is the same blade size is big jump in cost & everyone says they need fettling to be accurate, i didnt need to fettle much on my GTS10 xc, i was using it within an hour of it arriving cutting staves very accurately.

I think you'd need to jump to £600+ in order to get a cabinet saw, so putting this in a cabinet of your own is probably the best option :)

Ok guys thanks for the advice, it was actually the Axminster I was thinking of as an option. I'll keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one in case bit will plough on with the design for a cabinet for the bosch, thanks for your input it's helped me make a decision

Paul

The 250 is not really an upgrade - they're both similar site saw styles with small fences.

The next step up would be the AW10BSB2 or similar

The 250 with the optional extension table turns it into a different saw, it then has a full length fence, full width of the saw and table, and obviously a bigger work space, my recently delivered 250 needed very little work to get spot on for accuracy.

A good indication of how good they are is trying to find one on the market second hand.

Mike

giantbeat":3qutg5fs said:
i have the same saw for my home workshop, i love it, its small, powerful & i find it to be accurate, for the money i dont think anything else comes close... im aware the little axminster's are highly rated but the 250 which is the same blade size is big jump in cost & everyone says they need fettling to be accurate, i didnt need to fettle much on my GTS10 xc, i was using it within an hour of it arriving cutting staves very accurately.

It's not that much of a jump. ~£150 (assuming you get the complete kit)

but there are a few important features you'd get

- induction motor (much quieter)
- much larger work space
- substancial sliding table

People seem to bang on a lot about the dust extraction though.

Not sure how you'd fit a router table to it though. You could possibly drill right into the extension table? .. but that would be a lot of work. Althought the extension just looks like pressed steel, so perhaps you could replace it with a piece of melamine chipboard, which would be very easy to adapt into a router table

I used to have a 250, mounted it with a router by replacing the extension table with a wooden top and built the whole thing onto a cabinet, if I can find my own post I'll put a link on so you can see what I mean. That's the sort of solution I'm thinking of

Latest posts

Back