Deadman Foot Switches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not so slowly getting sucked into buying a new scroll saw with the Lumberjack SS533V in poll position. It does not come with a foot switch, something that I find so useful.

So does anyone have an idea about deadman foot switches that would work with this? I also would like suggestions of other scroll saws that incorporate this feature. I currently use the Charnwood 16V which has one, but the limitations I am finding are table size and feeding for internal cuts. I have posted previously that I improved this, but I am intrigued by the lifting arm on the SS533V, and , as I said, open to other suggestions.

Thanks everyone,

Eric

I use one of these on my pillar drill

I do not think that would work in his case. If you look at the Lumberjack saw, it has a standard on-off no volt release switch on it. Putting a footswitch before that would switch the machine off when it is released, but would not switch it on when the footswitch is pressed. To make it run, you would need to press the on button on the NVR switch.

The foot switch to which you link would work _after_ the NVR switch, but it is non-trivial to wire it in that manner.

If you want a dead man switch then what Chailatte described is how it should work. No way should a DMS start up a machine when you press or release it. You always should have to press a momentary PB to latch the supply back in

To make it run, you would need to press the on button on the NVR switch.
My pillar drill had a DOL starter , I just rewired this to incorporate the contactor and OL but no latching as with the footswitch it is not required as it acts as a deadmans switch but gives me two hands free to use the drill.

You always should have to press a momentary PB to latch the supply back in
Only in an industrial enviroment where that is a requirement to meet PUWER regs. In the home workshop you can use basic on/off switches, DOL's or the cheap versions that come fitted to a lot of machinery but it is not a must have because the only person responsable for your safety is you who is able to ensure that if the power drops out that you will not just leave a machine or tool without turning it off.

Again, thanks everyone for your input. We are now talking about stuff I have no competence in, but I think I can interpret PUWER to mean “don’t touch”. So I won’t.

Back