Dashboard Hinge / Guid Rail Bracket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I recently ordered the Dashboard Hinge for delivery to the UK.

I spent quite a bit of time deciding on the right track to hold the T-Bars (not t-bolts, though they can be ordered.

In the US, they specify 15 series TSlot extrusion, but 40 would be fine in the UK. However, the 40 extrusion was a bigger than I wanted on my bench.

I found some different extrusion on Amazon and it fits perfectly. Hopefully I will have time to install properly this weekend.

Posting here in case anyone else was considering this hinge and to link to a track that fits perfectly.

The hinge is a very solid and beautifully made.

Total cost in GBP including shipping £303. For some reason I was charged any extra at customs - all paperwork was correct

TSlot used

Couple of pictures below.

IMG_4001.jpeg
IMG_3999.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg

That's insanely expensive for a hinge, but it is much nicer than the competition.
I'll be building a new bench from aluminium profile this summer and was looking at the Dashboard site the other day. Excellent ideas and superior build.
Cheers

It is a lot of money for a hinge, but hopefully a buy once purchase.

The design, build quality and finish justifies the price in my eyes, especially compared to the Festool thing.

Pleased to have found the perfect track for it too.

I think you made an excellent choice with the dashboard version. Expensive yeah, though its the shipping and subsequent taxation drives that price up, but overall I think I'd prefer that one to either the festool or benchdog versions.

The festool one looks to be a bit of a joke tbh. Cheaply made and while i have no doubts it works well, its got that cheap look to it and it put me off. The benchdog version with its bench dog mounts im not sure about. the holes wear and thats going to make accuracy a prob over time. Plus the front support i'd rather have a long support than a simple pin.

Once you've got it all up and running, please do a review so we can see how its working and any issues you've encounters along with any fixes you worked out.

I had a little play today. There are things I can definitely improve on, but I’m happy the concept will work for a fast, accurate, mobile solution. I need to get better at using a router etc. but it definitely works.

My setup is Toughbuilt c700 saw horses, 2x4 placed across them, MFT sat on top of the 2x4. MFT is locked into the 2x4 using long dogs that go through both keeping things square and the same each time I set it up.. The dogs also have m8 threads that I may make use of in the future.

I used a router to make a groove in the 2x4 for the t-slot to fit into. Then the Dashboard Guide Hinge slides in nicely and is adjustable to square using the two provided 3d printed blocks.

Pictures below. But feel free to ask any questions if anything’s not clear.

IMG_4032.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_4039.jpeg

It does look well made but then a lot of the American stuff is, $349 or £ 303

https://www.dashboardpws.com/shop/guide-rail-bracket-bundle

The benchdogs version is £189 but has there hinge system changed since the original shown in @petermillard s video

It appears to now be stainless compared to the one in the video that is 6mm alloy but shout out if this is wrong.

I like the benchdogs version because it sits on the table top and does not need the channel grooves and aligns onthe 20mm holes.

The Dashboard Hinge is a gorgeous piece of kit. It is expensive but I would argue that it is worth every penny.

Several months ago I was curious about an MFT and built a bench. Since it was not going to replace my Hammer slider, laying out for a quality hinge was hard to justify. As a result, I decided to build my own. I made two. the first was using plastic cutting boards. It worked well, but then decided to make one from aluminium. The material was easy enough to locate on eBay, and overall the total cost was a small fraction of the Dashboard version, which I used as a guide.

Not everyone wants to go down this path. I just find it satisfying to build tools (as well as furniture). Remember, aluminium is easy cut with woodworking tools.

Dimensions can be found here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered Tools and Machinery/MFTRailHingeFenceMk2.html

Although mine has been utterly reliable, for all but those who wish to cheap out as I did, I am still a little envious of those with the Dashboard Hinge!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back