Dark Oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Finch

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks

Does anyone know where I can get a darkish oak bowl blank? Client is looking for about 8"x2.5" and would prefer the dark oak as "it matches the wardrobes". Random request, I know.

I have looked at eBay, Yandles and TR but all they seem to have is light/white oak.

TIA!

Collin

When you say dark Oak do you mean Brown Oak? Either try looking for that or you will need to stain the natural light colour of the Oak. I would expect the wardrobes our just that ie. Stained Oak.

Hi Chrispy.

Not really sure what I mean! I will have a search for brown oak. I suspect you're right in that they are stained.

I will have another search and see what I can find. Would like to avoid staining if I can help it.

When people ask for dark oak to match their furniture I usually find Van Dyck crystals give the right colour. If you don't want to do that and can't find any brown oak, I have some here if you want a piece.

Fresh oak can be fumed with ammonia to get a dark brown. Dried oak will fume less good, I think.

You can also darken oak with a solution of iron ions (steel wool in acetic acid), but that tends to get more
of a blue color, which doesn't look so natural.

Hi

Another vote for fuming with ammonia - just put the finished bowl into a sealable container, (plastic storage box), with a saucer full of household ammonia, the type supermarkets sell. It will darken proportionally to the time its left exposed to the ammonia.

Regards Mick

why not ask the client to see the dark oak furniture he is trying to match or failing that a photo or two. TYhen you will have an iodea what to aim at.

Al

Latest posts

Back