Customer demanding rebuild after 7 months of use or refund.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wuffles":26sls2ls said:
Supported with 1mm dominos at the back though.
Glued or loose domino's ? :)
Can't beat solid timber for non saggy shelves....depending on width obviously

Coley

Hello,

Sadly, it sounds to me the job was not fit for purpose. You can't really set a maximum weight limit, you have to over build to accommodate unknown circumstances. It is different to Custard's scenario where the customer specified floating shelves. Obviously the nature of having little in the way of support is going to limit the use. But this case, the customer asked for a larder unit. They have set the parameters, which need to be met. If the maker did not anticipate the shelves being stacked with dozens of cans, bottles jars and big bags of spuds, then it is his own fault.

Better he refund and learn from the experience, especially pricing high enough to build with beefier materials and stronger joinery. If this price is too high for the customer, then it is better the job is not done, than done cheaply and fail.

Mike.

Hi, thanks to all the replies I will post some pics and measurements when I have figured out how. I think I will offer the refund. Im curious as I made the larder unit in two separate cupboards that sit on top of each other and they haven't had an issue with the bottom cupboard.
Should I offer refund for just the one with the problem or both as they match each other in design.

Oh and yes it was 18mm mdf with a red wood lip to the front.
I have no actual qualifications. I have approx 5yrs build experience prior to turning my experience into a business and it's only really from demand. I know I still have alot to learn and will take any criticism constructively.

Jaygra":1kz2jkuj said:
Oh and yes it was 18mm mdf with a red wood lip to the front.
Additional information from you that might help formulate further useful responses:

* shelf length and depth?
* depth (height) of lip attached to shelf front, e.g., 18 mm, 25 mm, 45 mm, etc?
Slainte.

If it's any consolation: the only people who don't make mistakes don't make anything.

Latest posts

Back