Cressing temple show - a few pictures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":34aadwrc said:
Great sets of photos guys, please, keep them coming! :D

3935383340_c3425fc604.jpg

Tom, is that the price?!? :shock: That's more than double the cost of my lathe! I hope you got your 10% show discount, at least!! :wink:

to be fair olly , thats about half what your lathe cost when it was new ;)

OPJ":7hqxhho9 said:
I hope you got your 10% show discount, at least!! :wink:

I must admit that I took it as red there'd be some sort of discount. But alas none on that item. It seems there were only the odd deal here and there as opposed to the blanket discount as it normal with these shows.

Well, I thought it was a really promising start for this new show.

I thoroughly enjoyed my morning there, and meeting some forumites I had hoped to catch up with......Sorry I missed Tony (Escudo), who was pointed out to me in the distance, but I never quite got to him.

I think that with some luck, some decent feedback from visitors, and a bit of goodwill, that this show could turn into something really excellent. It was great that there weren't any of those cheapo market-stall type stands selling toot, and there were no craft-stalls. It was just a good old-fashioned woodworking show, in a wonderful setting.

I had a drink with one or two of the stall holders on Saturday evening, and a fine bunch of upstanding folk they were too! Cheers guys!

Mike

One or two, eh mike? :lol:

You're right, the absence of cheap tools and modern craft fair fayre was a welcome change.

Wizer, you definatly must have more money than sense, 183 for one gouge?

Is it like Lie-Neilsen vs Record, is it really worth all that extra money?

One gouge!

Only one!

With a really long handle, but still only one!

It's like the Festool debate. Yes it's massively over priced, but it's widely thought of as one of, if not the, best hollowing tool on the market.

The money came from my birthday fund, so it's not like I'm spending the mortgage on tools.

Thanks for the welcome Wizer, I discovered the website and forum some time ago but I can`t remember how I found it.
Regarding the show, I have been to Westonbirt and Yandles a few times and I thought these were as good if not better. as others have mentioned it was nice not to have all the usual craft stalls at Cressing.

Mark

Yes, I also enjoyed Saturday at the show. Lots to see and good to meet up with forum friends.

Pity I missed Mike and one or two others.

Kept my expenditure to less than £30, purchased a bolt from Philly for my marking gauge and pieces of Cocobolo and ABW and a little piece of Myrtle wood.

Highlights of the day.

Chatted to the young chap who worked with his mate on the design for the Veritas skew rebate.

Had a go with Davids lovely planes including the Karl Holtey. 8)

Enjoyed a pint of St Peters Golden Ale. (Lucky to be any left with Nick Gibbs nearby. :) )

Had a nice curry lunch with DaveS who along with Cambourne Pete were great company.

Good to meet Mark again and Tom. Hear that Philly is doing well and chat to Chris and, also Terry the Chestnut fellow.

Liked the look of that Magma Titan lathe. Superb bit of kit but should be at £6,700 :shock:

This show must go down as a big success and will hopefully go from strength to strength.

Cheers, Tony

Well I took quite a lot of pictures, to see the better ones, go and look at this Flickr set.
Here are the more interesting ones.
Chris with a new toy, er no that should be tool. :roll:
3935355126_5d2ed5b8fe.jpg

3934574327_048b362635.jpg

Black wood and stainless, only a 2 year wait.
Nick Gibbs had brought along spoke shaves and pony's
3935362128_e6f06ae331.jpg

Which Tom
3934581379_3b66ec6a6e.jpg

and Mark tried out
3935366132_5734180c08.jpg

Steve and his crew worked wood on a grand scale
3941398093_d5611d3bed.jpg

3935357078_c544f0c01a.jpg

The array of tools must cause the odd problem if he ever gets stopped on the way to work!
3935369310_cc1830ed62.jpg

The chain saw carvers had some wonderful pieces
3934591145_5e8cff213a.jpg

3935374264_9a9f343322.jpg

3935375184_8016b32db3.jpg

There was a huge collection of tools on the Veritas stand
3934605237_41f60b9ef5.jpg

3934606295_97cbe5990d.jpg

3935389376_43fd829337.jpg

some so new they had not made it in to production stock yet.
Having seen the real mouse in the hand tool barn, I went house with a wooden one, this chap was giving a running lesson on the techniques used in their production.
3942150164_116ca14f2f.jpg

3941372523_28c9735080.jpg

I will post some more of the pictures to the forum in the next day or so.

A bit late on this, but I too had an excellent day on Saturday.

Many thanks for Tony (Escudo) for driving and for his company all day. Good to meet Pete too, and a few other forum members. Seems there were quite a few others who I missed.

Good to see Philly again and to see his planes in the flesh for the first time. Very nice they are too - quite fancy one of the skew mitre planes
:)

I too thought it was a very promising start for the show - the venue was perfect and not being too busy it was easy to get to talk. I hope the show was successful enough to ensure its return next year.

My purchases were minimal - some finishing oil and some Brusso hinges. Highlight of the day was spending some time with David C and trying out his three planes.

Just a few pics to add of Tony and Pete trying David's planes:

Dave

where were the Brusso hinges hiding Dave? I would have liked to see their range in the flesh.

CHT had them - they weren't on display. In fact, when I asked, they didn't have them at the stand and had to fetch them from elsewhere.

I just bought a pair of knife hinges - they really are very nice. Not cheap, but definitely good quality.

Dave

Glad to hear you all enjoyed the show.
I wanted to go but never made it.
I do know Cressing Temple Barns though. What a fantastic setting, isn't it?
Love the pictures, too.

SF

A few more pics of the show.

This is the Wood machine barn

Hand tool barn

Other interesting sites.

That's Philly over in the corner

Behind me are the hewn beams that make up the roof, and the tableaux of the past.

Here a jobless boatbuilder changing direction, A coffee table in the shape of a boat.

A very enjoyable day. Bought some wood, Oil and Abranet.
Met a couple of members, 8)

John. B

No sadly I wasn't there when that happened Mike, rest assured it would have been snapped. Good on Mark H for shoving you further into the mouth of the slope. Won't be long now :lol:

Back