Cressing temple show - a few pictures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertMP

Established Member
Reaction score
ct001.jpg

ct001%282%29.jpg

Must admit I was fascinated by the chainsaw carving
ct001%283%29.jpg

ct001%284%29.jpg

Some could hardly Bear it
ct001%285%29.jpg

ct001%286%29.jpg

The Barns
ct001%287%29.jpg

ct001%288%29.jpg

Inside the hand tool barn
ct001%289%29.jpg

Hollowing tool demo in the other barn. Huge handle!
ct001%2810%29.jpg

More timber prep the hard way demo
ct001%2811%29.jpg

Found a lathe for the turners
ct001%2812%29.jpg

Back to the carver for his second session
ct001%2813%29.jpg

Future chainsaw carver? (it was a toy with a rubber chain ;)
ct001%2814%29.jpg

Thanks for the photos, Robert. Very interesting stuff. Almost like a Westonbirt for the South East... :wink:

...Did you buy anything??? :D

Only a tin of Chesnuts finishing oil :)

Oh and a bacon bap and a cup of tea. Van sold Chinese food too - bacon had an odd Chinese taste to it :lol:

Was getting moaned at for dinner when I put up the pictures - bit more time now. I stayed about 4 hours - which is a long time for me as I was in and out of ally pally in under an hour. I thought the demonstrations were good. The power tool section was a bit disappointing with only record power having a proper display. I really don't get hand tools :)
I spent some time in the hand tool barn trying to work out why all these people were lovingly caressing the expensive looking hand planes without success. They just don't appeal to me. Give me a machine any day.

Anyway the demonstrations made it worth the trip and the entry price. Hope everyone else enjoyed it.

Sorry I missed you Robert, I'm actually in your shot of the hand tool barn.

Here's my pics:

A Girl hacking up an Oak tree trunk with a massive hammer and wooden wedges :shock:
DSC_1548.JPG

DSC_1552.JPG

DSC_1557.JPG

Richard Maguire's Awesome Workbenches.
DSC_1558.JPG

DSC_1560.JPG

DSC_1562.JPG

MarkW Trying out Philly and Holtey's planes
DSC_1567.JPG

DSC_1584.JPG

DSC_1593.JPG

On the verge of being kicked out....
DSC_1595.JPG

This was probably one of the best shows I've ever been to. Such a relaxing, welcoming atmosphere and everyone was full of enthusiasm. It topped Westonbirt in that there was hardly any craft stalls and the associated punters that pulls in. I just can't wait til the next one.

I only managed a few snaps, i was too busy having a great time. It was very nice to meet the guys from the forum, but too many names to remember them all.Just sad i had to come home & miss tomorrow, hopefully it will be on again next year.

First that terrible man Mr Hancock greasing the slope for Tom
CIMG4469.jpg

Then Tom plunging head first down it, with the dreaded Munro 8-[ :lol:
CIMG4471.jpg

The next is a guy converting tree trunks into square beams,
CIMG4462.jpg

& the chainsaw carver nearly finished.
CIMG4464.jpg

Finally flies round Mr Charlesworths honey pot, Dave ,Tom & Mark. I don`t know about a Hotley, i`d just like my Stanley to work like Mr C`s
CIMG4475.jpg

and the question on everyones lips tom is .... did you buy a rolly munroe hollowing tool.... as if we couldnt guess :roll:

big soft moose":7yqkxx3v said:
and the question on everyones lips tom is .... did you buy a rolly munroe hollowing tool.... as if we couldnt guess :roll:
I think the pictures speak for themselves. :twisted:
3935378368_1c5faa526a.jpg

3934597283_907562161e.jpg

3935380386_674ec99d5f.jpg

3934599251_6b65710cfb.jpg

3934600179_2865efeaf5.jpg

3935383340_c3425fc604.jpg

Note that Tom of very little hair, still has shavings in it. :whistle:

At least he was smiling in these pic`s & he was parting with money :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the pictures especially for us that did not make it - a bit too far for me and I'm saving the pennies for another visit to Lee Valley, Toronto in November :wink:

Looked like a splendid venue and lovely weather.

Hope they do it again at West Dean next year which is nearer home for me?

Rod

#-o Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you to really rub it in!

It was a good day and we had a bit of the craic as my missus would say. Mark Hancock is a top bloke and saw me coming all the way from Kent ;) I just can't wait to get out in the 'shop and use this incredibly expensive :tool:

See you all next year chaps.

Doug B":bkq69ap3 said:
CIMG4469.jpg

hehe this pic was taken just after Mark had given me the tool and then whipped it back off me when he saw my angle of attack :lol:

wizer":2nip1fhn said:
Doug B":2nip1fhn said:
CIMG4469.jpg

hehe this pic was taken just after Mark had given me the tool and then whipped it back off me when he saw my angle of attack :lol:

Strange coincidence :lol:

I rember doing that as well :lol:

Great sets of photos guys, please, keep them coming! :D

3935383340_c3425fc604.jpg

Tom, is that the price?!? :shock: That's more than double the cost of my lathe! I hope you got your 10% show discount, at least!! :wink:

Hello this is my first time in the forum and yesterday was my first time at Cressing temple. It was a long trip for me from Glastonbury made longer by the road works on the M25. I had high hopes of this show but have to admit I was a little disappointed,the machinery area was not up to much and the prices of tools etc were more than I would normally pay even with discounts, £14.95 for camelia oil, Axminster are selling it for £10.99, me and another customer quickly put it back after discovering the price.
The highlight of the day for me was David Charlesworth letting me have a few shavings with his Holtey plane, nice bloke, nice plane.

Mark

Welcome Mark. How did you find the forum?

The show was organised by Classic Hand Tools so was never going to be a big machinery show. I do agree that the machinery was a little lacking but I'm sure it'll improve next year. Let's not forget this was the first show of it's kind. Personally, it's one of the best shows I've ever attended.

Good to see the pics of the day...thought I spotted Tom's folicly challenged bonce :lol: in one of the shots. Looks like it was a good event - Rob

Back