Coronet Consort noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
While I am trying to find a decent lathe I am trying to use one on my Coronet Consort and its noise bothers me a lot. I thought it would be the rear bearing as the fromt is plain one. Bought new bearing, changed the old one and voila at first try without a load on mid speed nice and quiet. Then I changed it to higher speed and the rattle was back and is there since even on lthe lower speeds. Any ideas? Thank you

While I am trying to find a decent lathe I am trying to use one on my Coronet Consort and its noise bothers me a lot. I thought it would be the rear bearing as the fromt is plain one. Bought new bearing, changed the old one and voila at first try without a load on mid speed nice and quiet. Then I changed it to higher speed and the rattle was back and is there since even on lthe lower speeds. Any ideas? Thank you
Sometimes noises can be difficult to pin point. If you get a screwdriver and put your ear on the handle then move the tip of the screwdriver over the bearings, you should be able to determine the source of the noise.
By the sound you describe, I would check the fit of the drive pulley to the spindle. Any slop there will cause a noise at higher speeds or under load. It only takes a tiny amount of slop to create a noise which is easily confused with bearing noise

I have the same problem with my Coronet 3 lathe. I've found oiling the bearings more than usual when its running at higher speeds helps. I was thinking of replacing the bearings on mine myself but your problem sounds very similar to mine.

I will have a go today. Fingers crossed I can find the culprit and deal with it.

Points going to Sawtoh-9. Tried the screwdriver trick but the most noisy one was actually the new one I changed.Took the belt of the motor pulley to try if there would be any change and established slight cick under tension when I was pulling on the belt and rolling it at the same time on the headstock shaft. Loosenned the worm screw of the head shaft pulley, rejiggled it and tightenned very hard (worrying that I could strip the thread which would not be unjusual as I am a bit heavy handed) and voila the rattle is gone even on high speed. What noise is left I blame old motor but I can easily live with that. Thank you all. Time to do some shavings after my course.

Hi Derek. Thank you for your offer. Which are the Derby made models? Red or blue?

Back