Cookie Slice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
Reaction score
My uncle asked me today if I could make/get a 'cookie' slice he wants for a cake stand. It needs to be about 50cm diameter which is much larger than I can put through the bandsaw!

Does anyone know anywhere in Essex that would have such a thing. I can't imagine many lumber yards cut them as I don't expect they are much use to many people. Must be a pain to surface as well presumably have to be done on a router sled or similar!

Rout it out of sheet something using a trammel bar.
If I interpret the Q correctly as him wanting a slice through a tree trunk, they're going to be both rare at that size and pretty useless. A thin slice of trunk is surely going to be very fragile unless glued to the first mentioned disc.

Rout it out of sheet something using a trammel bar.
If I interpret the Q correctly as him wanting a slice through a tree trunk, they're going to be both rare at that size and pretty useless. A thin slice of trunk is surely going to be very fragile unless glued to the first mentioned disc.
He wanted a slice through a tree trunk, with bark intact.

Doesn't matter hugely about the thickness, probably ideally 30mm or so. It doesn't need to be strong either as it's only to be used sat on a table to put a cake on it for my sisters wedding.

any tree surgeon will cut a slice for you at no or minimal charge - it will split all over the place but should be good enough for this short term task

I made my wedding cake centrepiece stand by laminating lengths of walnut together, cutting it round, and adding turned feet underneath.

It’s still perfectly flat, and we use it daily as a table centrepiece.

The cookies / log slices my wife bought to do the other table centrepiece cupped almost immediately after purchase and it was a nightmare trying to rescue them by misting with water to correct the cup.

At that size 50cm I’d consider doing what I did, less chance for cracks and cupping etc, plus you’ve got a nice piece you can use afterwards.

Latest posts

Back