Converting Record CL2 lathe to variable speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me the motor mounting type and size for the Record CL2 lathe - I'm considering converting to three phase and variable speed but can't find details about the motor mount. I'm hoping there's someone here who has done it and can help me out!
Many thanks
Stewart

Hi Nev
I can take it off but was trying to find out the size the lazy way!

Thanks for the Haydock converters suggestion. I'll get in touch with them though I was planning not to buy from them as it looks cheaper to do it piece by piece rather than buy one of their kits.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agree Haydock not cheap but you do get a proven quick fix kit. Got one for my CL3 nearly two years ago and it's transformed the lathe.

I converted my CL1 to 3ø a few years back and it has made a FANTASTIC difference. At the mo everything is locked up at the back and dinner is just about to be served :shock:

My motor has an imperial size shaft and when it arrived the shaft on the new mtor was too short. One of our members made me an extention for it, what a star !!

I will dig out the details tomorrow if you are interested. The fact that it's an inch sized motor made it a bit more expensive, but the difference is so great, what the hell!!

Thanks, yorkshirepudding - I've emailed Haydock to see whether they can supply a motor adapted to fit to use with my own inverter.

Hi John - I don't know if the CL1 is the same size mounting as the CL2 but if it is and you have any sizes for your motor that would be great.

Many thanks

Stewart

These are the people I got my kit from. As far as I know they will supply the mtor you need? When I have seen a CL2 it looked very similar to mine?

http://www.drivesdirect.co.uk/

It's a family company and they are very helpful. Nowt to do with me, just a very satisfied customer.

You will be amaized at the difference, but don't forget that if you are using the reverse with a chuck make sure the chuck is locked onto the headstock shaft or you could finish up with it, and the bit in it, in yer lap!!! :shock: :shock:

Thanks, John - they're the company I've been in touch with. Just a quick question about your shaft extension - the current motor shaft is, I think, 5/8" - I haven't seen a motor from drive direct with a long enough shaft so I'll need an extension. does it matter what size the new motor shaft is? Should it be smaller than the diameter of the extension or does that not matter?
Cheers
Stewart

The motor shaft on my motor is 5/8", standard size and I hadn't realised it was too short until it had been shipped over :oops:

As long as the extention has a 5/8" shaft for the pulley to fit on I don't see that it matters just what size the motor shaft is. As I said, the extention I had was very kindly made by one of our members for me.

Drives Direct were in the throws of moving to their new home when I contacted them and all hell was letting loose for them, but they still had time for my queries. I would think they are well settled now.. Great people!

Back