Construction tips for gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Dangermouse

I did say you can make your own dowel plate from thickish steel, 4-6mm, you can pick up an off cut from a local metal fabricators scrap bin (ask first)

Pete

Thanks for the tips charvercarver, i will check out axminster.

Good news i can cut the dado, i love getting my trend router out :D

Sorry Bob stupid me, at a quick glance that swing looked like a scaled down trebuchet i saw at Warwick castle, i would love one as a garden feature :lol:

I wasn't dismissing you Pete, sorry if it came across like that. I have looked into making one myself, but from what i read it seems like i would need a pillar drill to make a dowel plate, so the holes are perfectly plumb, but also apparently the holes need to be tapered as well. So i thought i would do further research and find a nice workshop close by to manufacture my own. But i will definitely look into it.

Thanks for all the advice guys you have been awesome, and im just about to start production of the gate so fingers crossed.

If you dont mind just clearing up a couple of finer points for me first that would be great.

1.With regards to peg size, does 1/2" sound good for the peg size? It should be a good size for the m&t joints with the 4x2" frame? and also the 4 x 1.1/4" and 8x1.11/4" rails?

2. Should i construct the frame first, use the drawbored tenons to lock the frame in place, and then insert the t&g panel afterwards? Or should i assemble the frame leaving the pegs out, then insert the t&g panel into the frame, and then insert the pegs to mechanically lock everything in place?

Thanks for all your continued help fellas, it has been amazing and so helpful :)

Hi, Dangermouse

I pillar drill would help but a mains drill will work, you don't need to be perfectly plumb or tapered, mine isn't.

Pete

Back