Confused newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumgerry

Reaction score
Hi all

Just joined and also just bought my first lathe. It's a Jet JML 1014. Been trying to set it up and something has me puzzled. Looking at the instructions it says the tailstock handle when the locking lever is undone should wind the tailstock in and out. It does neither as far as I can see. With the handle running free the tailstock just spins.

Am I missing something here? I'd have thought a retractable tailstock was pretty essential for releasing your work piece. Or is that achieved by loosening the big lever which controls where the tailstock casting sits on the lathe bed?

Hoping someone with this lathe or someone who knows what I'm talking about can help. And please don't laugh at me too hard if it's something totally obvious I'm missing.

Thanks, Gerry

I see the problem you have loosened the handle to much there i a slot in the tail stock quail if you line the to up and the tight the handle a bit so solve that

welcome by the way

Thanks for the welcome!

So where the grub screw on the handle engages on the tailstock should be in the slotted area? I'm sure I've tried that and nothing changed. But I can try again.

Cheers, Gerry

Hello Gerry and welocme :D
The tailstock itself doesn't move its the quill inside at the top that comes out so far??
You have to slide the whole tailstock up the bed then bring the quill out to hold the work.
If that is what you mean :?

egy6e5a6.jpg

pynuzutu.jpg

I've attached the handle on the limit of what it can attach to which gives me a range of about 18mm. See the attached pics for the open and closed positions. I had thought the tail stock would screw in and out but in this scenario it just pushes in and out. Can't help feeling I'm doing something wrong here!!

Oh and thanks for the welcome Paul! I think this is the forum I've been looking for all my life. I'm an inveterate maker of stuff!

Don't know the specifics of your lathe but the tailstock quill will be prevented from rotating by either the clamping lever or on some machines a separate grub screw locating in the quill side slot.

This also prevents you extending the quill too far so that it can come out of the front or rotate freely with a drill chuck and drill in use.
ts.jpg

Attachments

• ts.jpg
    ts.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,193
Hi Gerry,
I have a 1014 and the handwheel should not come away from the tailstock body like your top picture. You probably need to do up the set screw(s) holding it on the its shaft first.

Then the slot on the quill should line up with the bristol locking lever screw on the back of the tailstock which should be done up but not too tight - the quill should be able to move in and out but the screw should not be so tight to prevent this.
This is in place of the grub screw Chas mentions.

Then you should be able to screw the quill out and in - there is about 50mm of travel on the 1014.

I hope this helps.
Jon

got the problem now i think the handle is loses i think there is a grub screw on the handle and a hole were it should line up on the black spindle

the picture show what i think

Attachments

• egy6e5a6.jpg
    egy6e5a6.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,187
Problem solved!! Thanks so much guys. I feel like a right pillock now! Hopefully my future questions/contributions will be more interesting

ny6y4yze.jpg

Hi Drumgerry

I've just bought the same lathe and a Record G3 chuck kit after many years of being without a lathe. Haven't turned anything yet except rough out a blank to check all ok but I'm very happy with it as it seems a good solid little machine. Pretty quiet as well.

Now need to buy some pen turning gear - just can't decide exactly what :?

Happy turning

Bob

When you think of the number of machines that perform woodworking functions, and the far larger number of members here it is quite likely that someone else has the same machine. Even more likely that someone else has stumbled beyond the difficulty you face. Your choice of a white machine will serve you for many many years. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back