Clarke cp6

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NickWelford":3537ipxa said:
I wouldn't unless it was really cheap, but that's just me. Maybe ok for jointing, but 6" is a bit too narrow.
Well, £35 new, so it's got to be worth a shot. Not a Clarke, but the same, just another rebrand.

phil.p":13ptdgv3 said:
Well, £35 new is probably the reason it's not. :)
Maybe, maybe not. Someone selling as bought by a relative and never taken out the box.

When I've tried it, I'll post my findings.
If it's rubbish, there's a good few parts I can steal from it for projects so I'm not too worried.

Well, i picked up the the planer today. I've not put it together yet as I still need to sort out the space for it, but I've had a quick look. So far, looks pretty decent.

It's not a Clarke, but another generic copy, but it has some differences from the Clarke CP6 one. Perhaps built to a slightly higher price point?

With the Clarke, the fence is made from pressed steel and a few reviews say that it has a good bit of flex in it so owners had adapted them to reduce flex. And the way that the fence is attached to the main body is again through pressed steel with self tappers.
This one has an aluminium profile for the fence so its nice and straight with no noticeable flex. The mounting seems to be done via a fairly chunky adjustable clamp system, so much better.

I cant say much more yet as I've still to take the rest out of the box. One thing I will add is that it comes with two nice (American?) style, rubber bottomed, push blocks and a tool/gauge for setting the blade height.

I'll add more when I've got it all out and set up. For £35, I'm happy. :mrgreen:

We've all got to start somewhere and buying and using a cheaper tool is far better than buying an expensive one and not use it.
It's nice to hear that you're "Find" is working out well for you, At £35.00 sounds like a bargain.
Should be ok For light work, but try not to get the bigger stuff on it as in 6" oak etc.
Don't forget ALL timber stays off the floor and away from grit, stones and other debris, "be kind to you're cutters"
I suggest you look out for a spare set of blades, to stop any down time trying to get the 1 set you do have ground and returned, and a spare drive belt, same reason and put tha handbook somewhere safe.
Most important, keep away from the dust!
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1lya50m0 said:
We've all got to start somewhere and buying and using a cheaper tool is far better than buying an expensive one and not use it.
It's nice to hear that you're "Find" is working out well for you, At £35.00 sounds like a bargain.
Should be ok For light work, but try not to get the bigger stuff on it as in 6" oak etc.
Don't forget ALL timber stays off the floor and away from grit, stones and other debris, "be kind to you're cutters"
I suggest you look out for a spare set of blades, to stop any down time trying to get the 1 set you do have ground and returned, and a spare drive belt, same reason and put tha handbook somewhere safe.
Most important, keep away from the dust!
Regards Rodders
Good points blackrodd, i'll keep them in mind. :D

A little update here. For those very few who are actually interested. :mrgreen:

Here is the Clarke cp6, retail £169.99

060312126.jpg

As you can see, mostly a pressed steel construction. Pressed steel fence which apparently flexes quite a bit.
The blade guide is on an arm. I can see the advantage of the flexibility of this but would expect it moves quite a bit too.

gallery_61232_1513_500.png

This is the mounting mechanism for the fence. Again, a reveiw said flimsy and hard to get and keep at 90 degrees.

Here is the one i bought, advertised as "Similar to cp6". It's actually a Wesfalia MB5051.
gallery_61232_1513_727082.jpg

Body is solid plastic. Not sure on durability but would expect it to help it being a little quiter than the cp6.
gallery_61232_1513_363757.jpg

Incorperated gauge for cut depth (the cp6 lacks this) which seems pretty accurate. No push stick included but two nice push blocks.
gallery_61232_1513_653423.jpg

Chunky fence mounting with a nice solid feel to it. Nice locking levers, and angle gauge and when tilted it locks in two places to help prevent movement.
And as you can see an aluminium profile fence. No detectable flex.
gallery_61232_1513_867409.jpg

Three adjustable stops to help repeatability and accuracy.

Not in the pictures (forgot to take one) is a simple little blade gauge/adjuster. Looks like it hold the blade in the correct place whilst you lock it in.

All parts seem well machined with no burrs.

Negatives; No dust bag, though i'll be using extraction anyway so not bothered about that.
May slightly relieve the leading and trailing edge of the fence as they are quite sharp.
The bed isn't perfectly smooth. Its either painted or powder coated with a few ripples in it. May buff out but probably wont make any difference anyway.
Could do with somewhere to but spare parts from as blackrodd said, not sure where to buy from yet.

Anyway, all in all, I'm happy with it. I have no idea how much this model would normally retail for but for £35 I'm very happy. Its certainly built much better than I was expecting. (hammer)

Latest posts

Back