Chisel sharpening – you’re all doing it wrong!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbrains":3bme4a5o said:
Hello,

The man is filing something but not a chisel. TBH the low grade files shown in the picture are made of something like toffee, so likely ineffectual on mild steel for long, let alone tempered HCS.

I assume the compiler of the book wanted a picture of someone sharpening a chisel, picked a photo which should have been in the metalworking section and, not knowing enough about how to sharpen put on a caption to suit. Or something like that. It is obvious from the photo, with all the various forms of file on the bench, the engineers vice and the piece of metal in the vice, the photo wasn't taken to illustrate sharpening whatsoever.

That is not to say Custard or Richard above do not have valid points about obsessional sharpening, just the idea of sharpening with files to illustrate their point was a bit daft, especially since the book was wrong to show it anyway.

Mike.

I agree on all points. I thought the picture was just an error, also, but agree that demanding high grit is an interesting thing. I went through it, lots of us do because it's available and it does make a transient very sharp edge. But that level of sharpness only matters in very very shallow cuts, and we don't often find them in actual woodworking.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but think you've lost a valuable contributor in Jacob. From what I saw, there were a group of folks who routinelly ganged up against him, and tried to provoke him whenever he offered an opinion. It's incredible to me that anyone should be banned from an on-line woodworking forum. It would have been easier and, IMO, better, to have just ignored the man if you disagreed so strongly.

Shame on you all.

Apologies to the mods and anyone who has treated this thread seriously.

I put up what I thought was a clear example of absolutely awful editing and proof reading on the part of the book author to inject a brief moment of humour.

I think the clear message here for all posters is “Never, ever joke about sharpening!”

I thought the last photograph made it clear that this was awful publishing practice rather than serious comment, I can’t believe anyone has ever driven a screw with an auger drill.

Regards to all

Jim

I thought it was very funny indeed Jim!

And I miss Jacob too, a sane voice in a world full of armchair woodworkers :mrgreen:

John Brown":3p8ybs8i said:
I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but think you've lost a valuable contributor in Jacob. From what I saw, there were a group of folks who routinelly ganged up against him, and tried to provoke him whenever he offered an opinion. It's incredible to me that anyone should be banned from an on-line woodworking forum. It would have been easier and, IMO, better, to have just ignored the man if you disagreed so strongly.

Shame on you all.

John,
I have generally been in the pro -Jacob camp particually when he ranted against the "you must spend lots of money on boutique tools or you are wasting your time" brigade.

BUT, if you look at the particular thread that lead to his most recent ban the Mods were correct to ban him IMHO.
And I say that as one who has recieved a warning from a mod (who I think is a oversensitive git :wink: ) only this morning.

Well I went and searched and found a thread relating to transferring CAD to wood. Couldn't find anything more recent from Jacob. Read the whole thing, still no idea why he'd be banned for that. Seems to me that others were ruder to him.

Oh well. I have to attend to some grown-up stuff for a while now.

I recall that thread and Jacob was a bit like a dog with a bone on it. Still think a permanent ban is a bit OTT and would like to see him back.

Hello,

TBH I'm surprised Jacob lasted so long! Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the fellow in a sort of way, but cheeses he could be brutal. And he never needed provoking, he always went out of his way to rub people up the wrong way and then argued interminably if they tried to defend themselves or offer explaination. I was one of his main victims at one time, though I actually didn't mind a bit, dunno if that came across in text or not. I remember being told I was moralising when I pointed out that Eric Gill was a rapist and pedophile, after he wrote about his major flaw was wearing funny clothes, and then getting a Hitler salute from him!!! Skewed sense of humour to be sure. I'd have him back though.

Mike.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the forum - they've let me back in!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words etc.

Now where was I? hmm.... 8)

Jacob":35yd6jri said:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the forum - they've let me back in!! :lol: :lol:

A very Welcome back Jacob :D

I expect your absence has made you a reformed character, so we can expect you will be voting Theresa May, agreeing with Brexit. Also whilst you have been away I imagine you must bought a honing guide, scary sharp 8000grit abrasive paper and the backs of your chisels are super flat and as shiny as a mirror :D :D :D

Yep I've seen the light! :shock:
Paul Nutter PhD for PM! (hammer)

He, welcome back Jacob! I allready started a poll, but kind of missed that you allready were there again. :lol: The poll has been removed allready.

I must admit, I was a bit confused by what they called a panel drill, I'd never heard of one of them before. I've now looked it up and the photo aint one of them either. I was wondering what beast of a screw driver bit they had in that machine.

I couldn't make out the middle photo, so assumed there was a file in the vice and then wondered if it might actually be a good idea, I've certainly used files on saws and axes before. A tiny bit of me thought I might have found a way to grind out chips in my wide chisels a lot quicker than a course stone. Damn, it appears I haven't.

Regarding the Jacob, I was a bit stunned that it appears he's been banned. I've been given and read lots of good generous help from him, however I've also been stung a bit by his rants and in the particular post mentioned, he really was very aggressively condescending to a new member with a genuine plea for help. I'd have to admit that I've made stupid and possibly hurtful comments myself on occasions and maybe many of us make unwise comments without realising they can be hurtful. I really can't imagine Jacob is a complete ogre, but he can have a way about him which seems uncharitable to those who don't meet his exacting standards. If he has been officially sequestered due to a certain CAD posting, I can see the point that actually many people (all of us?) do need to be protected from what at least may appear to be belittling comments from those who feel better than them.

I for one would welcome the owd b***** back, but with hopefully more charity to the rest of us who aren't of his lofty abilities.

Jacob":2oibf3zp said:

Hello,

pipper, what have I done?

Welcome back Jacob.

Mike.

I was hoping you might regenerate as Mr Grimsdale, but welcome back.
Bugbear has been pining but is now polishing his handbag as we speak

Latest posts

Back