Chisel sharpening – you’re all doing it wrong!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
memzey":191dy6d9 said:
Funnily enough I was in Bristol a couple of weeks ago and had to pop in to Bristol Design as well. Half expected to see Andy their but no joy :). I also had a nice chat with the owner and concur that he is a very nice fella.

Well, call me conventional, but I'm more often to be found in my own home, which admittedly is not far away. :)

However, at the time of your visit I was indeed off on my hols, though keeping an eye on the forum from time to time.

And I agree that the shop is a pleasant place to visit. There's no pressure, and an understanding that many of the customers are happy to stand and chat about old tools for as long as possible. I too have always found the proprietor, Charles Stirling, welcoming and happy to share his years of experience.

Well I bought some more stones, 25 euros worth of arkansas white slip stones. I have a buncha new-to-me turning tools to sharpen now and the old timey books I've read on it speak of honing turning tools rather than constantly regrinding.

I really like the arkansas oil stones!

DennisCA":3onhbzsp said:
Well I bought some more stones, 25 euros worth of arkansas white slip stones. I have a buncha new-to-me turning tools to sharpen now and the old timey books I've read on it speak of honing turning tools rather than constantly regrinding.

That advice would be correct for old-school carbon steel tools. But I've heard a rumour that turners are beginning to switch to some new-fangled stuff called "high speed steel" - I don't expect it will catch on. :wink:

Back