Cheap diamond stones at ITS again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting. Can anyone recommend these plates? They seem almost suspiciously cheap. I too would like to copy Paul Sellers' set up instead of my mixture of oil and water stones.

I've had a set of Ultrex stones for some time, great, very pleased with them.

Hang on. £10 for an 8x3" diamond stone that costs £50ish? What's the catch? Cheap adhesive on the diamonds? A plate that doesn't stay flat?

2016-08-11-22.03.29a.jpg

Okay, let's give it a try so...

I bought three of these too, but didn't get the course one. Should I get the course one as well?

I don't know what properly sharp is, so I watched Paul Sellers' video thing and tried them out on a chisel. It came out much much sharper than anything I've achieved before. I couldn't see any wear at all on the plates and there's no way the plate won't stay flat. The video says to use glass cleaner, which I had to hand, so I did.

They're £10 each again at the min. Trying to order but I don't see an option for changing the country to Ireland when being asked to register and it won't accept the address. I'd put in an NI address but it needs to match credit card. Any Irish have any success?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Was attempting to do the same with Parcel Motel. Don't seem to be able to check out as guest and can't complete registration with an Irish mobile number. Did you just make a UK one up?

No, I gave the addresspal address (and made up a phone number; I figure if there's a problem, they have my correct email). Seemed to work fine. Went with addresspal over parcel motel though, because addresspal has a mainland UK hub and a lot of ebay sellers wouldn't ship outside the mainland (even to N.Ireland). Cheap enough to have both in case you need it really.

The deed is done! I ended up registering for and using AddressPal and making up a UK mobile number. Should have them delivered next week. Pity I won't be home from holidays for 2 weeks tho! Haha!

That might be cutting it too tight - if they deliver to the UK hub next week and the hub takes the usual 3-4 days to deliver to your nominated post office, you only have 5 working days after that to get there to pick them up; then they return to sender :eek: In my case I ordered from ITS on August 5; they delivered on the 8th to the UK hub; and the plates arrived in my local post office on the 10th...

(you can nominate someone else to collect for you if that helps though, they attach the form to the email they send when your stuff arrives)

Ah yes, I'll get someone to pick it up for me. Have you used yours yet? How do you find them?

I purchased a Medium and Fine on Friday (along with a course Forge steel one from Screwfix as it was a mere £3) and honing guide.
Oh and a very expensive eraser dolled up as the trend stone cleaner :lol:

Spent a lovely friday evening refurbishing my very very neglected chisels and an old plane from my dads shed.
Suffice to say my skills arent quite there yet, but close enough to atleast make them sharp, but some will need machine grinding to get the tips straight as some have curved corners from misuse (oops)

No idea how they will fare long term, but thus far I'm happy enough :D

Well I finally got a chance to test drive these diamond plates this afternoon and I have to say, I'm very impressed! Spent some time restoring an old no7 whose blade had been fairly abused but with a bit of elbow grease and a lot of sweating, it's cutting like a hot knife through butter!

Very happy with these plates, especially as I only paid about £40 for em posted! They are heavy and feel of very good quality. I was looking at the ezelap ones for ages but at about £150 for the same set up, I could never bring myself to pull the trigger and I'm glad I didn't now as these are great!

Wish I'd thought to take a before picture! Oh well!

Looking good Brian.

I took a punt on a set of three (same issue with wanting the Ezelap but never getting round to stumping up the cash).

What arrived looked pretty decent, but I haven't had chance to make a holder or try them out yet.

Like some of you I'm also looking for a complete set of diamond stones to replace my mixed setup, but Eze-Lap is proving expensive unless you really compromise on size of stone.

Not seen these Ultex ones before, and a month on since the last post, can anyone advise how they are working out please? Thanks!

Have a look again and you'll see my post was from two days ago! Since then I've sharpened a handful of plane irons and as many chisels and I can honestly say they're great! I don't regret buying them for a minute and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. In fact, I'd be sick if I paid £150 for the ezelap equivalent knowing now how good these are!

Back