Challenge Xtreme Sliding Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 89.99 in Argos one, just bought this second hand for £20, it does have two issues but for that money I wasn't walking away without it seeing as I didn't have one and I hate hand sawing :p

Firstly, the laser doesn't work. I have seen many saw reviews whilst dreaming of owning one and a lot of the time they say that the laser is rubbish, inaccurate etc. The laser on this might also be, I can't find out as it doesn't work! Any ideas what could be the reason? Easy fix or don't bother?

Also, it cuts like a beast however as the blade is slowing down after a cut it sound like someone has left a spanner or maybe just a few nuts inside it, quite an unnerving sound but apparently it has done this for ages and keeps going. Again, what is the probable cause and is this cheapie saw a repairable item or run it like this until it dies??

Any help or advice would be appreciated, and no, I don't have the budget for a good one at this time hence buying Challenge not Makita. I am a DIY / hobby woodworker so my tools don't get used as much as a pro's tools would.

TIA :)

Is this it, or the red older one?
http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/7 ... eviews.htm
I've used one a while ago, try and find the on/off switch that some had, also make sure there's no sawdust or resin
blocking the laser beam.
I don't think the laser is up to much but the saws just keep going, as you say, better than hand sawing.
Can't comment about the noise. HTH, Regards Rodders

zodiac":1y7xz0cq said:
as the blade is slowing down after a cut it sound like someone has left a spanner or maybe just a few nuts inside it,

Put some oil, any oil buy preferably thin oil around the bearing and let it soak in.

They say that modern bearings are maintenance free, but that is only so you will throw them away and buy a new one.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you can get some oil into the bearing/s

blackrodd":2jhyxsoa said:
Is this it, or the red older one?
http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/7 ... eviews.htm
I've used one a while ago, try and find the on/off switch that some had, also make sure there's no sawdust or resin
blocking the laser beam.
I don't think the laser is up to much but the saws just keep going, as you say, better than hand sawing.
Can't comment about the noise. HTH, Regards Rodders

it's the 1700w one, hadn't seen that 1500w one. As to how they differ I don't know. I cleared sawdust and still don't see the light lol however there's always the chance that it's pants anyway.

Edit: Just saw you said the red older one, it's not red it is the same as the photo other than not 1500 watts.

I seem to remember that on the first mitre saw I had the laser was powered by a separate battery, not from the mains supply, check around the handle for anything that looks like a battery cover.

zodiac":30ogo4wg said:
as the blade is slowing down after a cut it sound like someone has left a spanner or maybe just a few nuts inside it,

Had another thought about this today. If you haven't got it sorted, check if there is a lock lever for when changing a blade. If the saw had been dismantled and not put back properly this can rattle.

Not telling how I found this out. (homer)

When new, This saw apparently came supplied with two batteries, presumably for the laser, which isn't very good outside, But the red never is, and it has a spindle lock, as someone has mentioned.
If you haven't found where the Laser batteries go, here's the chop saw version, which may well be similar battery storage.

http://www.clickspares.co.uk/rn/AI/711-3062-7113062.pdf

HTH Regards Rodders

artie":2oboguy7 said:
zodiac":2oboguy7 said:

Had another thought about this today. If you haven't got it sorted, check if there is a lock lever for when changing a blade. If the saw had been dismantled and not put back properly this can rattle.

Not telling how I found this out. (homer)

It's had a recent blade change ... hmmmm possibly you've cracked it !

blackrodd":18sdogws said:
When new, This saw apparently came supplied with two batteries, presumably for the laser, which isn't very good outside, But the red never is, and it has a spindle lock, as someone has mentioned.
If you haven't found where the Laser batteries go, here's the chop saw version, which may well be similar battery storage.

http://www.clickspares.co.uk/rn/AI/711-3062-7113062.pdf

HTH Regards Rodders

I found the battery compartment, it is missing a piece to complete the circuit but I bridged a pair of batteries and still nothing but I will persevere with this when I get chance to rig up 3v to apply to the terminals and it works or it doesn't

Latest posts

Back