Cannot align fence, how do you guys do it ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will first have to establish if the table is square to the blade. This will be easier achieved if you have a wide or the widest blade you have available.

If the table is square establish if the fence guide rails are square to the table.

Then establish if the fence is square to the rail

Assuming all is correct look at the lock mechanism on the fence, it may be some debris or machining during manufacture is causing the offset.

Bottom line - work in a sequence establishing that all component parts are square to the adjoining piece, if you do not do it in sequence it will be time wasted.

Good luck

David

Pleased you got it sorted.

CHARNWOOD [-( [-( [-( Foolish mistake and very bad PR, I hope you have learned a valuable lesson, the internet can work for you and against you, someone on this site once said, "it takes years to build up a good reputation, and seconds ruin it"

Baldhead

Benchwayze":srmjn040 said:
Well that's Charnwood off my list of potential suppliers.

Must check with Trading Standards! 8)

Strange isn't it? I have found Charnwood to be a great supplier. On the rare occasions I have a problem, they have always been great to deal with on the phone with helpful advice. Conversely, I have found the attitude of the people at Axminster to be so p155 poor I will try everyone else before I consider buying anything from them.

Was the faulty bandsaw actually purchased direct from Charnwood or one of the numerous ebay sellers selling Charnwood stuff? It would be a bit harsh to slag off Charnwood if you actually bought the item from another supplier.

wizard":291ep3lu said:
For £124.00 all you will get is a heap of junk

Very surprised they are knocking them out at £129 to be fair - I sell similar ones for under £100....
which get mixed reviews also http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003TO0KX6
NOT MY SALES AND NOT A REVIEW OF MY SERVICE BY THE WAY

It seems the people who get the blade tension right - or even better change the blade love them to bits
Some struggle with setup and cant do much with them.

No one has complained about the fence though - maybe you just got a duff one? Still a refund was the way to go with that - you are obviously wanting it to be fairly accurate.

I've not slagged off Charnwood, in fact I went so far as to say I didn't want to unnecessarily bad mouth them so I just reported the facts as and when they happened.

The bandsaw was from an eBay seller who was basically a middle man and he ordered the saw to come to me directly from Charnwood and that's where I took it back.

Looking back, while I'm not happy about the threats of restocking fees and 30 pound per hour if damaged in transit and suggesting I have to pay for return post, but what really offended me, was the guy in the shop using my lack of knowledge and experience to his advantage to try and blame me for the poor performance, the cheek!

Thing is I know that was a underhanded attempt to shift the blame because I did get the saw to cut straight but only when I measured the fence correctly with a metal ruler therefore the blade was fine!

Anyway drama is over now so onto better and more accurate things.

jigsaw":f45s2snq said:
I've not slagged off Charnwood, in fact I went so far as to say I didn't want to unnecessarily bad mouth them so I just reported the facts as and when they happened.

The bandsaw was from an eBay seller who was basically a middle man and he ordered the saw to come to me directly from Charnwood and that's where I took it back.

Looking back, while I'm not happy about the threats of restocking fees and 30 pound per hour if damaged in transit and suggesting I have to pay for return post, but what really offended me, was the guy in the shop using my lack of knowledge and experience to his advantage to try and blame me for the poor performance, the cheek!

Thing is I know that was a underhanded attempt to shift the blame because I did get the saw to cut straight but only when I measured the fence correctly with a metal ruler therefore the blade was fine!

Anyway drama is over now so onto better and more accurate things.

I bet the seller is over the moon because if his suppliers are anything like mine - it will have been left to the ebay seller to foot the bill for a replacement or refund. The items are not normally "supplied" to you (as a re seller ) they are "sold" on a business to business arrangement as you order them - which technically cancels out distance selling regulations etc etc.

This is why sellers always urge you to return directly to manufacturer - if you return it to manufacturer they are obligated not to look a pack of ( mouldy apples?) and will usually replace / refund.
If you return to the seller we have to BY LAW replace or refund - and getting the replacement or refund from the manufacturer for the original the seller sent you is a real fight as they technically dont have to do anything....

Some manufacturers like silverline for example like to take control of their products though and if the problem is after 30days of sale they advise you skip the retailer and return directly to them - if you registered your purchase of course to activate your guarantee....

Inoffthered":35mf7exh said:
Benchwayze":35mf7exh said:
Well that's Charnwood off my list of potential suppliers.

Must check with Trading Standards! 8)

Strange isn't it? I have found Charnwood to be a great supplier. On the rare occasions I have a problem, they have always been great to deal with on the phone with helpful advice. Conversely, I have found the attitude of the people at Axminster to be so p155 poor I will try everyone else before I consider buying anything from them.

Was the faulty bandsaw actually purchased direct from Charnwood or one of the numerous ebay sellers selling Charnwood stuff? It would be a bit harsh to slag off Charnwood if you actually bought the item from another supplier.

'Twasn't me who bought the band-saw. I was making the observation that given someone else's experience I wouldn't try Charnwood.

Yes, it is strange, as you say. IOTR...

I have never had cause to complain about Axminster. Although I was discussing with another Forumite, that they didn't like to 'price-match'. But then as their prices are usually the best anyhow, it doesn't often happen. When it does, then I seriously consider giving the other firm a chance.

Cheers (hammer) !

Benchwayze":1l1yglot said:
I have never had cause to complain about Axminster. Although I was discussing with another Forumite, that they didn't like to 'price-match'. But then as their prices are usually the best anyhow, it doesn't often happen. When it does, then I seriously consider giving the other firm a chance.

Cheers (hammer) !

I know what you mean about Axi's price match policy, I can understand why they may want to adopt that policy but I have bought a lot of stuff from other places because of it.

I have just discovered D & M Tools. Great prices and great delivery.

Ordered a Trend router 3.00pm on a thursday afternoon and it arrived by courier 8.15am the following day. Free delivery and £40 cheaper than Axminster (and it came with a free collet). So even price match now is not likely to entice me back to Axi.

Inoffthered":3tyeajyw said:
Benchwayze":3tyeajyw said:

Cheers (hammer) !

I know what you mean about Axi's price match policy, I can understand why they may want to adopt that policy but I have bought a lot of stuff from other places because of it.

I have just discovered D & M Tools. Great prices and great delivery.

Ordered a Trend router 3.00pm on a thursday afternoon and it arrived by courier 8.15am the following day. Free delivery and £40 cheaper than Axminster (and it came with a free collet). So even price match now is not likely to entice me back to Axi.

Agreed. D&M are okay, but I'm going to order a Festool Router... From Powertools GB.... http://www.powertoolsgb.co.uk/cgi-bin/e ... _soid=9776

Nah, nah na nah-nahhhh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cannot for the life of me work out why these firms act this way. They must realise that making life difficult for their customers is going to backfire on them eventually. The true believe of all businesses has to be 'the only good customer is a return customer' surely ? ( not sure that came out right :) )

Bluekingfisher":2yhd5u1l said:
You will first have to establish if the table is square to the blade. This will be easier achieved if you have a wide or the widest blade you have available.

Bottom line - work in a sequence establishing that all component parts are square to the adjoining piece, if you do not do it in sequence it will be time wasted.

+1, I'm surprised this didn't get mentioned sooner. Getting the fence square to the table is moot if the table isn't square to the blade.

Surely its neither here or there whether the table is square to the blade when the fence once clamped in position moves?

carlb40":190xv3oz said:
Surely its neither here or there whether the table is square to the blade when the fence once clamped in position moves?

Well yes that's true. I just though it odd that there were several posts stating that the fence had to be square to the table, but nothing was said about the table being square to the blade.

I did everything as said in the assembly instructions, I spent ages getting it all spot on, my single and only problem was this fence as I keep saying.

When you clamped it down, it would move to the left, hmm ok so then I held the end flush to the metal table and clamped it and it moved to the right, hold it dead centre and its got a mind of its own.

Clamping the fence down so that it was straight was the problem with this model, it was always out of alignment, now the next model up had a fence guide and I would have been happy to pay more to upgrade to the better model but they didnt have any in stock until April.

Fence aside it did appear to be a good machine, it was quiet and cut well, but none of that matters if you have a rickerty fence that will just not clamp straight and chooses its own direction each time you try and clamp it down.

I've explained all this about 5 times now lol ... I have had some great advice and it was due to that support I went through the process of getting a refund and making the journey to take it back.

Also I wasn't aware that 124 would only buy me junk, but I am now :D

Back