Cannot align fence, how do you guys do it ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for all that. I have a fairly expensive Axminster bandsaw that was a huge disappointment until I got my Tusssaw blades.. completely transformed the bandsaw and I never looked back. Geoff

Benchwayze":2hws8342 said:
Thanks Carl.

Yes that was where I saw the upgrade, and my saw could be fitted with these guides. But as I said, my 351 is 20 years old; maybe more, so I don't think it's worth the risk. With my luck, the moment I upgraded the guides, the saw would die a devilish death. [-o<

So, for now the Cool-Blox' are adequate. :D
Well as it works, why change it. :D

Well I spoke to the manager Richard @ Charnwood about this and the upshot is I have to repackage it myself and they will arrange a collection, but if it gets damaged in transit I get charged £30 per hour !

The refund would be less carriage charges and restocking fee, I can't believe I will be out of pocket because of this when its not my fault.

I have just looked at the fence again tonight and there is just no way on earth this thing will ever sit straight, so I guess I have a 2 hour, 80 mile return journey tomorrow to take this back, theres no way I would agree to the labour charge if damaged in transit so I have no choice but to take it back myself at my own cost.

Not a good start to woodworking :(

jigsaw":1zp693k1 said:
Well I spoke to the manager Richard @ Charnwood about this and the upshot is I have to repackage it myself and they will arrange a collection, but if it gets damaged in transit I get charged £30 per hour !

The refund would be less carriage charges and restocking fee, I can't believe I will be out of pocket because of this when its not my fault.

I have just looked at the fence again tonight and there is just no way on earth this thing will ever sit straight, so I guess I have a 2 hour, 80 mile return journey tomorrow to take this back, theres no way I would agree to the labour charge if damaged in transit so I have no choice but to take it back myself at my own cost.

Not a good start to woodworking :(

Check the distance selling regs/ office of fair trading etc. I am pretty sure in the uk sellers are not allowed to charge a restocking fee?

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threa ... fee.51206/

Have a look at the sellers page and see if it mentions restocking fees? If not do a screen grab and keep it as evidence. ;)

I have also experienced Charnwood appalling returns policy for what they sell on eBay. I would reject the goods as not fit for purpose and file a claim via Paypal. Then it is Charnwood's responsibility to accept the return carriage cost and there should be no restocking fee. From my experience they will try and charge you a large amount for the original carriage charge even if one was not stated in the ad. Before you return it get them to tell you exactly the amount they will refund.

As I said reject the goods under the Sale of Goods act, even eBay Buy It Now items sold by businesses are subject to this. Don't be fobbed off.

Also as this was ebay and done through paypal? Start a cancel my order process or damaged / faulty claim via ebay. That will stir things up for the seller ;)

EDIT

This is from the DSR

Returning faulty goods

If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, The Distance Selling Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.

So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act as you have when buying face to face.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.

Hi Jigsaw,

I have just bought a bandsaw fence upgrade from Axminster today, cost £13.50. It is more substantial than the one that came with the machine and all that's required are two drilled holes to pick up the existing bolts.

This option may be cheaper than the cost of sending your's back to Charnwood.

Cheers
John

Well I will be there in rush hour traffic first thing in the morning, if the refund isnt processed by lunch time then yes I will have no choice but to start the ebay process.

I didn't want to do that its a last resort for me, got enough stress on without it so lets hope they do the right thing and refund me so I can buy a working band saw, that will be my 3rd post on here lol which one can I get that has a straight fence :)

Thanks for the tip there John, its v.good to know that there are other options to get this to work, but the way I feel about it now is I want to just get a refund and get a quality unit now.

jigsaw":1bjbqhyy said:
Well I will be there in rush hour traffic first thing in the morning, if the refund isnt processed by lunch time then yes I will have no choice but to start the ebay process.

I didn't want to do that its a last resort for me, got enough stress on without it so lets hope they do the right thing and refund me so I can buy a working band saw, that will be my 3rd post on here lol which one can I get that has a straight fence :)

Thanks for the tip there John, its v.good to know that there are other options to get this to work, but the way I feel about it now is I want to just get a refund and get a quality unit now.

The thing is - if you have returned it yourself, you have cut ebay/ paypal out of the returns process - so they might not offer any help?

A dispute started tonight via ebay - may well be sorted in your favour by the morning. ;)

I guess thats a smart thing to do Carl, fancy just taking over this returns process for me and in return I will make you a nice little oak box ? lol.

But seriously yeah I think it would be wise to cover myself, its a shame one has to think like that but from what I gather so far both the seller and Charnwood have been decent to this stage, but I guess it would be wise to protect my purchase just in case :)

jigsaw":3i6fl6uv said:
I guess thats a smart thing to do Carl, fancy just taking over this returns process for me and in return I will make you a nice little oak box ? lol.

But seriously yeah I think it would be wise to cover myself, its a shame one has to think like that but from what I gather so far both the seller and Charnwood have been decent to this stage, but I guess it would be wise to protect my purchase just in case :)
Yeah no point being out of pocket through bad customer care. Plus now if you are not going to leicester in the morning. This place might be a better day trip out. ;)

Axminster Nuneaton Store

Address:

Bermuda Trade Park,
Nuneaton,
Warwickshire,
CV10 7RA

That way you can get to see the saws etc in person :)

PS

Make sure you tick the send a copy to my email for all contact via ebay. It's good to have a back up copy of any contact. ;)

Benchwayze":1twlndpm said:
Well that's Charnwood off my list of potential suppliers.

Must check with Trading Standards! 8)
Same here now, i will never recommend any of their products either again :)

carlb40":1qhrmg2q said:
Benchwayze":1qhrmg2q said:
Well that's Charnwood off my list of potential suppliers.

Must check with Trading Standards! 8)
Same here now, i will never recommend any of their products either again :)

Same here, I already thought of them as being at the cheaper end of the market, a bit agricultural sometimes but serviceable products by and large, but wouldn't go near them now with customer service like that.

Definitely do the ebay/paypal complaints thing and leave it to them.

Sounds like Charnwood and Rutlands might have a lot in common with their attitudes and approaches to customers !

Having said that, I'm actually not sure that even Rutlands try and charge restocking costs for faulty products !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":3m5jph5h said:
Having said that, I'm actually not sure that even Rutlands try and charge restocking costs for faulty products !

I've had to make several returns to Rutlands in the past. They have always issued an RMA number and had their carrier collect the failed/faulty item. I believe their returns process is fully compliant with the distance selling regulations.

I'm not overly keen on them, but credit where it's due.

E.

Final update.

Hey guys.

I just wanted to update you all on this situation.

Firstly, I can't say thank you enough to those of you who offered help and advice, I've been on loads of forums in the past which have inflammatory posts and the odd clown but I've never found a place where everyone is just so friendly and helpful, so I'm really grateful for that and it just goes to new members what a cool place this is to be :)

Well this morning I drove to Charnwood and dropped off the bandsaw, I was met by a man at a counter who asked what the problem was, I explained that the fence was just too loose and never locked in a 100% straight line to enable me to get a straight cut, however he went to talk about how my blade was too loose and said I had probably destroyed the blade ? I found this to be more of an excuse to shift the blame onto me because if I measured the fence distance top and bottom with a metal ruler it did cut straight but I didnt want to have to go through this procedure each time I want to cut, the blade was fine and I adjusted it as per the manual so I didn't appreciate the angle he took to shift the blame onto me, I only had about 8-10 cuts on some thin pine.

While I never got to speak to the MD in person about this the guy came back and said they would issue the refund, when I returned the ebay seller did indeed refund me the price in full :)

Looking at this whole experience I am not sure what to think ... Had the fence been ok then I have to say this would have been an ideal hobbyist machine, it was quiet and did a good job, at cutting pine anyway even if it didn't cut in a straight line, maybe the next model up with the better fence would have been a better machine.

Looking at the negative though, I was told there would be restocking fees and I had to buy my own packaging and they would arrange collection but the fee would be deducted from the total refund amount, I was also told that if there was any damage in transit I would be charged £30 per hour ! I did have to make a 2 hour return journey at my own cost because I did not agree to those terms, and finally the guy suggesting it wouldn't cut straight because of how loose I had the blade was balloney, I'm not stupid and I adjusted it according to the manual.

I don't want to bad mouth a company unnecessarily and I did get my refund back, but with this model and with my own experience I probably would not deal with them again because of this.

Anyway thats this chapter done now, so I'll fire up a new post to see if someone can help me with my next question.

Thanks again everyone (virtual beers all round) :eek:ccasion5:

Back