Cabinetmaker Screwdrivers Options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of an interesting subject but lacking in practicalities a bit.

I have just counted 19 screwdrivers with the bulbous boxwood handles that I have collected over 50 yrs
and they are all slotted types. I have stripped handles of their finish to improve then with BLO. I use these
about a dozen times a year and as suggested have to fit the slot to the screwdriver blade size by trying several.

These screwdrivers are excellent for their purpose.

That purpose has now mainly been lost by modern Xhead screws which are what gets used most often.
Decent slot head screws are now a rarity.

My set of WERA screwdrivers has replaced them for everyday use. The blades are excellent, the grip
phenomenal and the handles allow me to apply huge amounts of torque whilst being comfortable. Excellent.

Cheshirechappie":lzs42coi said:
The exception might be very old screws.....
The exception would be old screws, new screws not made to the standard, slightly worn out screws, badly made screws, in other words nearly all screws.

Anyone with more than a few old slotted screwdrivers will have a few that are past their best, having served the ignorant as all-purpose levers, openers and punches. It's been shown on here before at various degrees of sophistication, but it's really very easy to replace the old stem with a standard magnetic bit holder, wedged or epoxied in place. This means you can use all the right sizes of modern tips for modern screws, and swap between a battery powered driver and a comfortable hand tool as required.

It's what I do.

Jacob":3bvvvwiv said:
Cheshirechappie":3bvvvwiv said:
The exception might be very old screws.....
The exception would be old screws, new screws not made to the standard, slightly worn out screws, badly made screws, in other words nearly all screws.

Hello,

Hmm, dunno how many variations there are, they are certainly all identical in a box! Since makers are generally putting screws in, then filing a screwdriver tip to fit your screws of choice is a good idea. I'm not sure why you would buy many varied brands of screw just to cause difficulties for yourself. In any case, there are not many brands of slotted screw to choose from these days, so once you find a good brand, you'll be likely to stick with it and make your screwdriver fit appropriately.

Slotted screws are the only ones to use on good cabinet hinges, posidrive and torx are just awful on a nice cabinet!

Mike.

woodbrains":31mjrrpb said:
Hmm, dunno how many variations there are, they are certainly all identical in a box!
I wouldn't count on it
Since makers are generally putting screws in, then filing a screwdriver tip to fit your screws of choice is a good idea.
Well yes if you always buy the same screw from the same reliable maker and never have the misfortune to encounter any other deviant screws during your working life :roll:
Getting a bit silly this thread!

...it's really very easy to replace the old stem ....
Even easier to file an old screwdriver to make it usable

richarddownunder":1h11nh0a said:
I wondered about trying these, has anyone seen them in the 'flesh'?
http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/aca ... ml#SID=459
Cheers Richard
They aren't exciting to look at but at least they have a wooden handle. I keep a set in the house as they are quick and easy to change bits to suit any small job that comes up.
The bits seem fine but I haven't really put them through hard work. Besides standard bits fit so there'll be no problems if they do need replacing.

Back