Buying timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinthree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post here and I need some advice.
I'm a furniture maker on a small scale but am looking to expand my business, I currently buy my timber (mainly southern yellow pine) from my local timber yard, however the amount I buy will increase substantially and I was wondering about buying direct from the import yard direct in bulk?
How much would I have to buy as a minimum order roughly?
How would I go about contacting importers? Iv no leads at all , all searches bring up more timber merchants like I'm buying from currently
Thanks for any help

What sort of quantity are you looking to buy?

If you buy from one of larger merchants, such as Brooks Bros, Lathams, Timbmet etc you could ask them for a pack rate. Usually packs are in the 3 to 5 cu metre range. Obviously this would require buying a whole pack of one thickness.

I think Brooks Bros are quite major players in softwood from North America so might be worth trying.

I buy timber packs from Timbmet, who are really helpful. They can give you a tally for every pack (very useful for hardwood when a pack may be specd as 6" and wider). In southern yellow pine I expect a pack might be all one size like 6 x 2 for eg, so a tally Isnt then relevant.

I believe all timber shipped from the US comes into Liverpool docks so if you are buying enough, you might be able to get it delivered directly from the docks even if you buy through a uk merchant.

Back