bulb holders in lamp bases?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinr

Established Member
Reaction score
not entirely sure if i have the right forum but as i'm thinking of making some lamp bases on the lathe...

can anyone tell me what is requited to fix the bulb holder to the lamp base, looking on the internet i can seem to find plenty of pendant bulb holders but nothing for (table top) wooden bases?

are there specific kits to buy or is it a case of araldite and adapt?

thanks

As above. If you use the nipples, (which are neater) you can bore your hole first, clean the end approximately to shape, put the nipple in and use it on your live centre - everything's bound to be on centre then. Just remember to buy threaded lamp holders.

There are simple and inexpensive kits (I think I got my last one from Robert Dyas for £2.99 IIRC).

There is typically a disc of brass which you counterbore into the top of the wooden stand. The counterbore needs to be a perfect match to seat the disc (tenon) and to get that you can buy special woodturners lamp making headstock bits which is a combination spur drive and counterbore. This allows you to mount the piece between centres while cutting the counterbore hole (which is an inch).

So there's 2 things I'm talking about here...the kit of electrical parts including the brass disc and then the counter boring centre. Incidentally, once seated in the hole, the brass disc has screw mounts to fix it and then an upward facing threaded cylinder into which you screw the plastic bulb holding assembly.

Tell you what, I'll take some snaps rather than bang on about it. hang on....

Blimey....2 more posts crossed in the ether while typing!!

Here's what I mean, hopefully more clear with pics
Lamp 1.jpg
Lamp 2.jpg
Lamp 3.jpg
Lamp 4.jpg

Attachments

• Lamp 1.jpg
    Lamp 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Lamp 2.jpg
    Lamp 2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Lamp 3.jpg
    Lamp 3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Lamp 4.jpg
    Lamp 4.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,095
thanks, i knew there must have been something available but just could not find it.

now just need to track down the lamp headstock bit.

Imo nipples are far neater than plates, but they do the job just the same. You can get the lamp holders with or without switches at any electrical wholesaler or retailer - don't forget if you buy brass ones you need three core flex to earth them.

Back