BT wi-fi exrender

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david123

Established Member
Reaction score
Once again I need a bit of advice.
We use our iPads at home using a BT hub but we cannot use wifi all over the house. Do I need a wifi booster( that I assume you plug into the mains near wher you need to use it, or a hotspot, again I assume that you plug it into the mains. What is the difrence between the two?
And any advice on which type to get.

Thanks in anticipation.

I have a BT 600 series extender, works fine, gives dual band access at the same level as in the same room as the router the other end of the property. (as I type in use for skype video and on line gaming at the same time by one member of the household)

It works by syncing to the router Wi-Fi and retransmitting signal, finding the so called optimum position (within ideal range for maximum benefit) is a bit problematical but not critical ours regularly shows a change in link signal strength but never any problems with stuff logged on via it.

If this was me I'd install an additional wireless access point in the 'dark' area. This second AP will be connected to my router using either a CAT5 cable or via the mains cables using home plugs. I think you can get a home plug with built in wifi specially for this. Have a read of the products here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/store/h ... plug-wifi/
I prefer this as it can be installed way beyond the range of the first wifi whereas a repeater/extender solution has to be within range of the first wifi.

if its not all gobbledegook ... you can use another modem/router as a wireless bridge to extend your wifi area. I was going to purchase a power line adapter but found a router (configured correctly) was cheaper, more flexible and doubles as a spare modem/router if the main one ever plays up.
one of these works fine for me...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... 9207977893

Thanks for your quick response guys. you have given me a few options to look at. I will be looking at your suggestions tomorrow, and no doubt I will pick the easiest option.
Appreciate your time and help.

If your BT hub is latest Dual Band (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands) it's worth making sure any extender system covers both for best performance options with your mobile devices.

If you will buy a sprawling mansion Dave, it's hardly surprising that you won't get WiFi in the West Wing!

I have used the TP-Link for a while now and it works well from where my office is on one corner of the house to the opposite corner. These also just plug in and we also have one on the landing which serves all the rooms upstairs.

Alex

I should be so lucky Glynne :D

Thanks for all your advice, I have just ordered a BT610 extender.
Another problem (I hope ) solved.

We have a Virginmedia Hub and I've found there's quite a difference in range whether I select 5GHz or 2.4GHz on my iPad. I've got a couple of extenders but found just changing the setting solved the problem.

I had a BT system worked well for years
Then they offered me an upgrade :evil:

Anyway, it was installed and suddenly I could not get wi fi around the house. (its bog standard 3 bed semi!)
When I complained they told me it was my fault for living in a house with brick walls :shock:

After hopeless conversations I gave up and paid a mate to add an extension router upstairs, all is now fine.

the effectiveness of wifi depends on several things.

How good the transmitter in the access point is.
The environment, that is the walls, ceilings, furniture, bodies (it doesn't go through liquid as well as it does air*), electromagnetic radiation (washing machines, bandsaws etc) etc
The ability of the receiver to pick up the radio waves. Some wireless devices are better than others.

* A former colleague of mine installed a system in a milking parlour, it worked well in the tests but not so well when the cows came in to be milked. They had to reposition the access point and include another one so that all the receivers could get a good enough signal.

We have just replaced an extender with a TPI power line WiFi system to make an Amazon Fire TV stick work. Now all devices in the sitting room work much better than before considering we only have around 1.7Mbs until the promised pure fibre arrives at the end of the year. We have signed up for 100Mbs but can upgrade to 1000 if we want to spend the money on the monthly charge.

Our old sky one only covered roughly 2/3 of the house. The new one we got about 3 weeks ago, which looks identical except for the colour and model number, works much better. I may still get a booster though, just for in the garden in summer.

A sheet of metal near the router will reflect the signal, useful if your router is at one end of your house.

Pete

Racers":u9rmddu0 said:
A sheet of metal near the router will reflect the signal, useful if your router is at one end of your house.

Pete

Interesting!
Maybe that foil y stuff for sticking behind radiators would work too?

lurker":3gm1495e said:
Interesting!

Nah, just save the foil from cooking the Christmas Turkey and use that, it will give off a nice aroma as well! :lol:

lurker":12q1ja1p said:
Racers":12q1ja1p said:

Pete

Interesting!

Probably but a thicker bit of metal would be better, baking sheet etc.

Pete

Latest posts

Back