Powerline adapter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikebart

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of BT powerline adapters connected from router to socket in the conservatory with Ethernet connection to run a smart tv, works fine better that using the wi-fi.
No security procedures when installing virtually plug and play.
I have a new consumer unit fitted with surge protector and fitted RCBOs and live in a semi detached dwelling.
Does anybody know how secure this is in regards to my neighbour being able to use my internet just by plugging in an adapter into one of his socket?
I would assume that the answer is no as my internet signal would have to travel from my wiring via my consumer box to wherever the supply is outside back into his house via his consumer unit to a socket.
Am I being a p r a t 😳

No risk. If it worries you, log in to your router admin page occasionally and see the list of connected devices but there is no need.

Thinking about it I had to link the devices to use and a third one would have to be linked with the master one, so even if electrically possible there is still the access to the master unit.
I didn’t think it would be a problem but thanks for the replies 👍

It's quite astonishing how much distance these devices can cover... I've had them working over farm premises with multiple distribution boards, submains etc 100m plus from the origin. But, that simple setup procedure should have copied network name and password from the base router (you don't have to type it in, just a couple of button presses on WPS)....so you devices can move from home router WiFi to the powerline box without seeing it as a change of network. So, unless you've shared your password, it's relatively secure.

Actually- depending on the units involved- they can sometimes be 'picked up' by anyone on the same phase on the powerlines with the same brand unit if they are 'cheapies' that have no matching (ie 'press button to pair to each other)
My sisters place lost her internet router after a thunderstorm- and yet the TV still had netflix etx- she was using the 'Optus provided' power extenders, as was the neighbour (on the same phase), and her TV was picking up his internet connection and using it as her router was dead...
😲
I don't know why people think the fusebox/consumer box has any ability to stop the data signals (they are basically the same thing as they use here to turn on/off off peak hot water heaters)
Anyone on the same phase can pick them up- but the better quality ones use a 'pairing button' to match them to each other (my sisters place had three installed- on in the lounge for the TV (no wifi and opposite end of the house to the router) one at the router, and one at her 'work from home' desk for the tower computer (again no inbuilt wifi)

Well I purchased a new smart tv before Christmas and had been playing using apple airplay with my iPad, last night I had a request on my tv asking if I wanted to accept my neighbours iPhone onto my network I assume through the adjoining wall.
I had forgot to turn airplay off which I assume was the cause.
Technology may be good but the ability to connect to all sorts of devices can be scary.

Just ensure you use a password for your adapters (Devolo and all the rest allow/advise this).

Also RCD/RCBO's do tend to block connections not actually on the protected cct.. So your neighbour ought not see let alone connect to your system...

Back