Broken return spring on piller drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc75

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a broken return spring on my cheapo Clarke's pillar drill and as it is a very old model can't find a replacement, there is nothing wrong with it apart from the spring at the moment I am using a bungee cord on the handle, wonder if there is a better way?

May be a fair chance one from a more recent, similarly sized model, would fit.

They're a fairly simple component and unlikely to have changed much, if at all, over the years ?

Cheers, Paul

There was a thread here recently, I think it might have been a Fobco that was concerned, that dealt with a return spring - do some searching and keep bumping your post - the person who answered the question might see the post.

malc75":2dzlgjql said:
Thanks I see that sizes are quoted as 8,10, 12 inch ect is this the total length of the spring?

I assumed that this would tie up with the throat depth of the drill - in the same way as bandsaws. Most of the springs give the diameter and depth of the coil and I would measure the size of the spring housing on the drill and get one that will fit with enough space to coil/uncoul a bit as the quill is lowered and raised. Once fitted to the drill then you can adjust the tension.

Misterfish

Back