Boxing in boilers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks , im thinking of attempting to box in a boiler & I could do with some advice . What would be the best material to use & are there any regs you need to abide by , im sure ive got the skills to do this but I need leading by the hand , any advice is welcome , thanks T

I always go online and look at the manufacturers installation guide lines, that will give you clearance requirements and therefore not break any of the regulations. As for materials, depends what finish you want. I generally go mdf

Hi Tony
As mahomo stated you MUST follow the manufactures instructions, not only for clearances but also for ventilation requirements, some boilers require ventilation for cooling and some require a specific air supply to ensure the gases burn correctly/fully, the consequences of the gases not burning fully is the production of CARBON MONOXIDE which has no smell, no taste and KILLS. It all depends on the boiler in question. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURES INSTRUCTIONS.

If its a modern combi there's normally no need for ventilation, do check the manufacturers guidelines. Material wise I would use Mrmdf. I would leave enough room for easy maintenance or make the boxing in easily removable.

As a Gas Engineer myself I concur that all the above answers are correct.

Manufacturers Instructions are the final say - they over-rule Gas Safe Regs, so read the Boiler Manual!

From recent experience I would advise against boxing in the top and bottom of the boiler. Ours was completely boxed in and about 4 or 5 engineers advised it was not a good idea and at least the top and bottom should be clear.

Latest posts

Back