bike lanes again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RogerS":i45xhans said:
Your idea is totally impractical for most of London.

Are we at cross purposes here? People can drive and park on no through roads as much as they like, but they don't unless for access. And yes, one way roads can complement each other. That's the job of the traffic engineer, to work out solutions that are suitable for cycling as well as driving.

If you agree it's practicable for parts of London, start there.

I don't how long ago you saw that cycle track. They are getting busy now. TfL predicts that in some areas cycle traffic will soon outnumber cars. I said before that most bike infrastructure is very poorly designed. Look again at that example Jacob started with. Picture the street in the rush hour, and ask yourself how many people would cycle there. Without a good, linked-up network of good quality tracks you are only going to see the people who are prepared to ride in traffic and who don't want to slow their journey. How many drivers would use a motorway if there were only five yards of it, it didn't go anywhere, and they had to cross a swamp full of alligators to get to it?

Finial":2corop5y said:
RogerS":2corop5y said:
Your idea is totally impractical for most of London.

Are we at cross purposes here? People can drive and park on no through roads as much as they like, but they don't unless for access. And yes, one way roads can complement each other. That's the job of the traffic engineer, to work out solutions that are suitable for cycling as well as driving.

If you agree it's practicable for parts of London, start there.

I don't how long ago you saw that cycle track. They are getting busy now. TfL predicts that in some areas cycle traffic will soon outnumber cars. I said before that most bike infrastructure is very poorly designed. Look again at that example Jacob started with. Picture the street in the rush hour, and ask yourself how many people would cycle there. Without a good, linked-up network of good quality tracks you are only going to see the people who are prepared to ride in traffic and who don't want to slow their journey. How many drivers would use a motorway if there were only five yards of it, it didn't go anywhere, and they had to cross a swamp full of alligators to get to it?

Totally agree with you.

Finial":21nyn5kx said:
....How many drivers would use a motorway if there were only five yards of it, it didn't go anywhere, and they had to cross a swamp full of alligators to get to it?
:lol:
I was surprised at how much cycle traffic there was on busy central London streets (visited last week). Very evident and very confident looking on the whole. More the better; "critical mass" etc.

andys wood shed":u71ip7wu said:
NazNomad":u71ip7wu said:
... it's all a laugh, innit.

What a mindless, irresponsible and stupid comment to post and you received thanks for it :roll:

Was it as mindless, irresponsible and stupid as the ''cycle lane'' that spawned this thread?

I hope it was more so, I never win anything. :roll:

Finial":2cdsu1y7 said:
How many drivers would use a motorway if there were only five yards of it, it didn't go anywhere, and they had to cross a swamp full of alligators to get to it?

If the alligators were 4 abreast, you could just drive across them ... same as you can with cyclists. :wink:

NazNomad":223e68wt said:
Finial":223e68wt said:
How many drivers would use a motorway if there were only five yards of it, it didn't go anywhere, and they had to cross a swamp full of alligators to get to it?

If the alligators were 4 abreast, you could just drive across them ... same as you can with cyclists. :wink:

Like some people actually do.

What this country needs is more properly designed alligator lanes, suitable for all reptiles, but well away from the cycle tracks. Though I doubt if Roger S would agree they are practicable.

I would hazard a guess that the more alligators we can introduce into traffic, the less problem we'd have with errant cyclists.

Apparently, cyclists taste like chicken (an alligator told me that)

Finial":iqzyqfar said:
NazNomad":iqzyqfar said:
Finial":iqzyqfar said:

Like some people actually do.

What this country needs is more properly designed alligator lanes, suitable for all reptiles, but well away from the cycle tracks. Though I doubt if Roger S would agree they are practicable.

Totally practicable - if you put them in the cycle lanes....make 'em pedal a bit faster :D

This photo always makes me laugh. I imagine poor old Clarko stuck behind two cyclists two abreast and chatting away without a care in the world, whilst he's having nasty attacks of dyspepsia, farting and burping, between fits of road rage!

(
Clarko_3247969b.jpg

andys wood shed":iox7t0ig said:
Finial":iox7t0ig said:
It's not all a laugh to me, having been run into three times by incompetent drivers, while cycling legally and fully in accordance with the Highway Code

Was the drivers names RogerS, Wuffles and NazNomad by any chance

Nice one, very adult.

Loser.

RogerS":2edp61e9 said:
Totally practicable - if you put them in the cycle lanes....make 'em pedal a bit faster :D

I'd take the alligators before the drivers. I might be able to reason with them!

Finial":7oa7gyus said:
And if you wanted to convince me that you do understand the issues, you've failed. Your comments show that you don't have a clue. Why don't you try cycling in traffic for a bit then come back and tell us about it?

I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, I honestly couldn't care less if you can't take a joke.

I've cycled in traffic, so what? It's hardly rocket science, is it?

At least your existing cycle tracks are better than this one. :wink: :lol: Although some of the potholes on athe roads around us are nearly as bad. :shock:

Attachments

• cycle track 1.jpg
    cycle track 1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 678
  • cycle track 2.jpg
    cycle track 2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 678
Pedestrian was a cause though you can't blame him - the cyclist was probably distracted by him and was pinched in.
I doubt the taxi would have seen the cyclist until the last second.
Cyclist was to blame not wearing bright yellow - and going too fast - you have to assume you are invisible and be able to stop in time if the vehicle in front stops suddenly, as this one did. Which is also how most car to car shunts happen. Not particularly a cyclist thing only but cyclists call it a SMIDSY which stands for "sorry mate I didn't see you" which is probably what the taxi driver was saying at the end.

Much as I've been ignoring this thread... to me there is no one to 'blame' here. If you drive/cycle/walk in London everyday you should already know cabbies are a law to themselves. They make manouvres that no else is allowed to do, it's part of their job. They can drive in bus lanes but want to cut out as soon as the bus in front stops. Some will stop wherever they want. Yellow boxes, traffic light filter lanes. Wherever they see fit tbh. The pedestrian is not to blame. Far as I know, the pedestrian always has priority. The fella on the bike is powering down that road. Even now there's arguments regarding the bike super highways where 'normal' cyclist are being intimidated by 'lycra louts'. I'm not anti bike, far from it. But that fella clearly fails in my humble, to appreciate the fact, a, there's a taxi (the most unpredictable of all modes of london transport other than tourists on Borris bikes) with his indicators on in front of him. There's a fella crossing the road. Mental. If there's anyone I trust less than than taxi drivers, scooter delivery drivers or night bus drivers its pedestrians. If there has to be a case of blame here apportioned here. It's the cyclist. Yet he's the one in bits on the road. I said before in this thread. Driving, riding walking anywhere is a game of anticipation. If you want to do it in a city centre you better be perceptive and alert. The level of mental idiocy is the same across all modes of transport. Fact is if some silly person dings my van it's insurance. If some silly person who happens to be on a bike goes under my tyres through no fault of mine and gross carelessness on their part chances are I'm treated as guilty by the police. He's dead or severely injured. I've spilt my coffee in my van. But maybe I'm on death by careless even though I spend 99 % of my time scanning. Prison sentence?
People need to wake up. This is not a battle of motorist against rider.. It's a battle against concentration. Be aware ffs. And stop raging cos you're 3 seconds later than you might have been. Or one night don't go home one night to see your kids cos you're locked up or dead.
And while I'm at it stop trolling threads and being an a*se because you have a bee in your bonnet. You know who you are. Its the exact same thing as described above and the reason this thread will rightly get locked soon the same as the last one.

Signed
Tufty The Road Sensible Squirrel

Bm101":1j5ben99 said:
This is not a battle of motorist against rider.. It's a battle against concentration.

Quite right, and that's the point I've been trying to make. If you mix motor traffic with bikes, this is what happens. I don't blame the bike rider. He was going at about the same speed as the rest of the traffic. The taxi driver didn't check carefully enough and indicated and turned when the bike was too close to stop. Maybe without the pedestrian one of them would have spotted the danger earlier. I don't think anyone could say that was good driving. But everyone makes mistakes. The driver wouldn't have turned if he knew the bike was there.

This sort of thing is inevitable and happens all the time, and as usual the bike rider came off worst. That road doesn't allow for human error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back