bike lanes again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
This is fairly typical and comes with many variations.
It's actually a serious hazard.
A cyclist has to slow down and nearly stop to get on it, then negotiate getting off it. If there's more than one the others would have to stop on the road itself and queue up.
These should be avoided like the plague, even if it does annoy motorists. The twerps who designed it should be sacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL2TigWfh2M

It was designed by someone that pays to use the road. #herewegoagain

Jacob":32b6pqep said:
This is fairly typical and comes with many variations.
It's actually a serious hazard.
A cyclist has to slow down and nearly stop to get on it, then negotiate getting off it. If there's more than one the others would have to stop on the road itself and queue up.
These should be avoided like the plague, even if it does annoy motorists. The twerps who designed it should be sacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL2TigWfh2M

Tedious.

BugBear

It's somewhere for cyclists to pull off the road before crossing it, have you never cycled on the road, Jacob?

NazNomad":2dnaosdh said:
It's somewhere for cyclists to pull off the road before crossing it, have you never cycled on the road, Jacob?
No it isn't it's supposed to be a bit of cycle lane.

Being rather contravertial, if only cyclist actually obeyed the rules of the road, cycle lane's would not be necessary. Absolute menace, I wounder how many anti cyclists would support a campaign to ban cyclists off the road and whether it would achieve the 100K to get debated in parliament. I know I'm totally biased!

deema for PM, where do I vote? Get the menace off our streets.

deema wrote ( if only cyclist actually obeyed the rules of the road,)
And if all motorists obeyed the rules of the road -wearing seat belts, talking on phones, using indicators. etc. Don't tar us all with the same brush there's good and bad within all of us.

Alan.

I see motorists 'stuck' on pelican crossings all the time, then the lights change and pedestrians have to walk around/between them to cross the road. It's so prevalent that I'll guess a good 80% aren't aware of the correct procedure. Drivers of artic's seem to know much better, probably because they are fully aware of the length of the vehicle that they are driving.

... but Jacob says there is no such thing as road tax, until he later says there is. #confused

I always wonder what it is with some (you don't pay for the road) car drivers and cyclists. Maybe it’s the Illusory superiority that 80% of car drivers seem hell bent on ingratiating themselves with that just leads to conflict.

Every bike I see on the road is one less car in the queue in front of me. And if a cyclist ant to dodge around traffic lights (not all cyclists do this) etc then fine with me. Most times they only end up hurting themselves. It not like having a couple of boy racers cutting you up, tailgating or or being a pain in the backside.

Road tax was done away with over 70 year ago. Those little discs you used put in the windscreen are vehicle excise duty (VED), which based on emissions, meaning ultra-efficient and electric cars, among others, pay nothing.

It nothing to do with the upkeep of the road, in fact market research has shown cyclists tend to be disproportionately higher earning there's a reasonable chance they pay more for road upkeep anyway. Either way, the roads are big enough for everyone if we all take care.

deema":1kturhc0 said:
Being rather contravertial, if only cyclist actually obeyed the rules of the road, cycle lane's would not be necessary. Absolute menace, I wounder how many anti cyclists would support a campaign to ban cyclists off the road and whether it would achieve the 100K to get debated in parliament. I know I'm totally biased!

OK deema. Would you care to explain exactly how people cycling are a menace? Try to put it in context, bearing in mind that while drivers kill thousands every year in this country, and are estimated to kill and seriously injure about 20 million people a year worldwide, bike riders in this country kill approximately none.

Your thoughtless victim blaming is not good to see. If you knew anything at all about cycling in traffic you would understand that cycle tracks are necessary because there are too many lawless and incompetent drivers on the road. Obeying the law and following the highway code does not keep bike riders safe, because people like you bring the danger. When you stop drink-driving, speeding, using your mobile and ignoring the highway code, then people riding bikes will be safer.

You want to ban cycling from the road. You are too late. It is effectively banned already. Hardly anyone is prepared to cycle on the road now. Too many careless drivers and too much ignorant foolishness from people like you.

Roads are for everybody, not just Mr Toads

il_570xN.661630379_grx8.jpg

Clarko_3247969b.jpg

Quite simply our roads were not built wide enough which means in the majority of cases a car driver has to go over on the opposite side of the road to overtake.
Loads of cyclists using the roads and country lanes around where I live, some of them riding 2 a breast, chatting away without a care in the world while 2 miles of traffic is building up behind them because it's unsafe to pass on bendy roads.
To be fair some cyclists I've seen are considerate and will pull off the road in the above situation, some won't.

Roughcut":2huynd6x said:
Quite simply our roads were not built wide enough which means in the majority of cases a car driver has to go over on the opposite side of the road to overtake.

Nothing wrong with that - having been a cyclist in the past I try to do that as a matter of course, and don't mind waiting for the opportunity.

Roughcut":1ngg5awu said:
Loads of cyclists using the roads and country lanes around where I live, some of them riding 2 a breast, chatting away without a care in the world while 2 miles of traffic is building up behind them because it's unsafe to pass on bendy roads.

Round my way queues of traffic are all too common, but the vehicle in front of me is never a bike.

The highway code says drivers should always move right over when overtaking bikes. If they followed the rules, cycling would be safer.

When I'm cycling I find that many drivers will pass dangerously rather than wait seconds for a safe passing place that is clearly visible ahead. Many drivers seem to think they have a right to drive as fast as they like regardless of the rights of other people using the road. What stops them is not the fact that it's unsafe to pass (they don't seem to mind the risk to other people) but that it's impossible to pass. That's why the more intrepid riders keep out in the lane.

Fatboy":2of3oaz9 said:
This particular cycle lane is a waste of taxpayers money, i agree its ridiculously short and serves no safe purpose

Most of the money spent on cycling is frittered away on things that will never make much difference. Look at the opposite side of that road - sooner or later someone will get hurt by a careless driver cutting the corner at the bend ahead. In most places like that there would also be a significant risk of someone being killed by a driver turning left, but in this case traffic goes straight on.

NazNomad":2j4xlqmb said:
deema for PM, where do I vote? Get the menace off our streets.

Vote for proper cycle tracks, then bikes won't trouble you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back