bevel edged chisels...... HELP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
This has probably been covered a hundred times so I will apologize now.
I am starting a course in furniture making in september and am starting to get a few tools together, I have a reasonable amount of bits and pieces but have never really had more than very average hand tools and I'm wanting to get some decent quality tools that will last a lifetime as I intend to make this my career!
I'm currently looking into a decent set of bevel edged chisels, at the moment I think i've settled on Ashley Iles but I keep swaying somewhat (a bit unsure about the hollow on the back?), i've looked through the web and checked reviews but I'm still a little unsure. I'm not a great fan of the kirschen set, purely from aesthetics, I like the look of the lei neilsons and have generally heard good things, but they are so much more expensive.
I don't know if its better to have a set of all rounders or some for lighter work and some specifically for chopping. I'm confused! :?
I don't want to have to buy another so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! :D

rocksteadyeddy":19xrew6a said:
This has probably been covered a hundred times so I will apologize now.
I am starting a course in furniture making in september and am starting to get a few tools together, I have a reasonable amount of bits and pieces but have never really had more than very average hand tools and I'm wanting to get some decent quality tools that will last a lifetime as I intend to make this my career!
I'm currently looking into a decent set of bevel edged chisels, at the moment I think i've settled on Ashley Iles but I keep swaying somewhat (a bit unsure about the hollow on the back?), i've looked through the web and checked reviews but I'm still a little unsure. I'm not a great fan of the kirschen set, purely from aesthetics, I like the look of the lei neilsons and have generally heard good things, but they are so much more expensive.
I don't know if its better to have a set of all rounders or some for lighter work and some specifically for chopping. I'm confused! :?
I don't want to have to buy another so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! :D

Hello mate.
As your doing a furniture course i would highly reccomend the Ashley iles. The edges are very thin so good for dovetailing (unlike the kirschen) and the steel is excellent. I honestly don't think you can buy a better quality new set for less money.
Good luck with the course.

Why do you have concerns about the hollow back? It can be nothing but a good thing. I have the Kirschens and recently sold them (sortof, Pete? ;) ). They didn't suit my tastes, mainly as you say, aesthetically. My firs choice is Ashley Iles and will be collecting the full set when funds allow. My advice (and it's my opinion :roll:) is to either go for the AI's or try to find some old ones to fix up. That's not my idea of fun tho ;)

I agree - buy the AI's. They're fantastic.

I've got the Mk2 bevel edge set, and think they're great value for money.

Cheers

Karl

At around the £100 per set that Matthew at WH sells them for, the AI MkII's have to be the best ones on the market (at that price point) IMO. Don't worry about the hollow back, that's one of the much better features of them. They're ground very small along the edge so are equally good for cleaning out d/t' as well as general chisel work at the bench.
The cheaper CI Fall range at WH are also very good but not really suitable for dovetail work.

As an alternative, consider the Sorby's from Ray Isles with the London Pattern octagonal handle...also very good but bigger to hold in the hand. Consider Jap chisels as well if t'oriental stuff floats your boat...it sinks mine, but then that's just me :lol:

The next bracket up takes you into LN and BS country which may be more that you're willing to pay at the moment...nice chisels though :wink: LN's now available in O1 steel, but we won't go there :oops: - Rob

I have done quite a lot of reading up on various products and have come to the conclusion that the AI's are the best bet for me without going all the way to the expense of the LN's so shall be picking up some tomorrow at ally pally!

BTW, I'm really not keen on the L/N's. They just seem so bulky. If you were splashing out then go with the Blue Spruce, you won't regret that purchase.

wizer":61wvduml said:
BTW, I'm really not keen on the L/N's. They just seem so bulky. If you were splashing out then go with the Blue Spruce, you won't regret that purchase.
Tom...no bulkier in my mind to like sized chisels (thinking about the AI's) but I agree that the 25mm LN chisel is physically bigger. BS's are also great but the blade is a constant thickness all through (even at the handle) so my feeling is that they're a bit more delicate and not so well suited to belting with a lignum maul - Rob

Hey there rocksteadyeddy Welcome to the forum.

If I were you I'd go to the ally pally show this wknd and get your hands on as many different ones as you can and see which you prefer.

The AIs chisels are really nice. I have most of the MKII set but I would suggest trying some out.

Thanks all for your info, if nothing else it confirms what I was thinking :)
Although I might be able to stretch to the LN it would only be a basic set, so I would rather spend the extra on "MORE" chisels.
With regards to getting old ones and refurbing them, having just finished completely refurbing my dads old stanley no4 and part way through an old no7 (which I thought " its not that much bigger..... it wont take that much longer to do! :wink: yeah well!) I honestly don't think i've got the patience! :(
Which brings me onto the next question....... Am I better off getting a pair of skewed chisels or say one or two dovetail chisels (fishtail.
Which tend to be more useful? From what I can tell from the course i'm in for quite a lot of dovetail cutting!

Thanks again very useful site. =D>

rocksteadyeddy":3ja34tly said:
....... Am I better off getting a pair of skewed chisels or say one or two dovetail chisels (fishtail.
Which tend to be more useful? From what I can tell from the course i'm in for quite a lot of dovetail cutting!

Thanks again very useful site. =D>

I'd go for a pair of skews, always very handy for things other than dovetails.

drtrrr.jpg

Grind a pair of 12mm chisels from a couple of old bevel edgers to save a bit of wonga :wink: - Rob

I've got a few AI's chisels

DSCN0045.jpg

I've got a couple more knocking around in the toolbox, including a set of the fishtails.

I like them alot, they are real quality, unlike the Kirschens which seem to have been polished to death, rounding over the backs.

I found myself sharpening a set of them yesterday for someone, and there plane too!

But this isn't my only set of chisels, I have a set of old style stanley dynagrip chisels that i've had since I was twelve and I use these for most jobs.

Out of interest what course are you going to do in september??

JHB

Skews it is then I think, can any one recommend any in particular? I don't have any other old ones to grind other than a cheep set of marples, which most certainly aren't up to the job! I've seen the kirschen ones and have to say yet again am put off just because I don't like the look of them. What can I say..... i'm shallow!
Do AI do them? Nothing on the sit, but i've ordered the catalogue.

Starting first year of city of guilds in furniture making in poole, can't wait, although its going to be a bit strange being a student again, they even said i'm going to get homework and everything! :lol:

I've got a couple of the Ai's but I've not used them yet so can't comment. If you are going to be buying a full set of one brand of chisel then that's your answer. The AI dovetails are very nice, as are all of their MKII range.

rocksteadyeddy":28allmm9 said:
... I'm wanting to get some decent quality tools that will last a lifetime
most of them will last a lifetime, but you might not want to keep them that long.
I'm currently looking into a decent set of bevel edged chisels,
I'd buy a variety of old and new - but just a few at first so you get to know them, and their differences.
, but they are so much more expensive.
Get a selection, buy more as and when you think you need them. For heavy work you need heavier chisels - firmers or mortice chisels
I'd expect to be buying stuff every now and then forever! I wouldn't commit to one expensive set now. Just what you need for the course plus a special or two. But I'd avoid fancy stuff like fishtails and skews - they aren't really necessary.

mr grimsdale":1mpc1ue7 said:
But I'd avoid fancy stuff like fishtails and skews - they aren't really necessary.
Disagree here Jacob I'm afeard...skews are required to clean out the corners of lap dovetail socket, or at least to make a decent job of it. It can be done with square ended chisels but skews make the job much easier and if like I said earlier, you can make your own...it don't cost you nowt :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":xckcnpnh said:
mr grimsdale":xckcnpnh said:
But I'd avoid fancy stuff like fishtails and skews - they aren't really necessary.
Disagree here Jacob I'm afeard...skews are required to clean out the corners of lap dovetail socket, or at least to make a decent job of it. It can be done with square ended chisels but skews make the job much easier and if like I said earlier, you can make your own...it don't cost you nowt :wink: - Rob
Alright - useful, but not essential!

Points taken, but those AI skews do look nice, what sort of money are they? I don't think I can help myself =P~ There just so shinney!!!

rocksteadyeddy":37o2hn5n said:
Points taken, but those AI skews do look nice, what sort of money are they? I don't think I can help myself =P~ There just so shinney!!!
I see you require very little impetus to jump on the 'Slope' :lol: :lol: ...you have been warned! :lol: - Rob

Back