best material to use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnLasair

Established Member
Reaction score
first, hi.

secondly my question: basically I have been doing a bit of messing about with a scroll saw (I say messing about as I am not very good at it yet so don't really see it as much more). Thus far I have been mainly using ply-wood, but I would like to try some other materials. The books I have seem to suggest MDF, but I can't use that as I am essentially allergic to it - apparently I have "MDF related asthma" or some such thing, basically when I cut MDF I can't breath afterwards even if I used a mask.
So I was wondering what other materials are good for use on a scrollsaw, or is it a case of anything that's fairly thin can be used (which has been my assumption but struggling to find confirmation on this)

also any other tips for a relitive newbie to the world of scrollsawing would be great :D

I think for UK users, plywood is by far the most used material. Keep reading the forum, there's close on 100 pages of of it with plenty of tips.

What a pity you didn't post this morning, I have been in York all afternoon and I could have popped in and given a few tips. ;)

slowly reading through :p just a bit of an overwhelming amount of info so thought easiest to just ask lol. Scrollsawing is semi new to me, I do more functional and less decorative things usually, just an attempt to branch out really (and I gained a very cheap scrollsaw last year so need to justify it's presence in the workshop :p )

First of all a very warm welcome to the place that I feel will serve you well.Most of us started with plywood,has you progress you will improve and will try proper wood,that is if you are fortunate to find a place or person who would get you some.
You are starting on a wonderful journey into the world of scroll saws,which I am sure you will enjoy.I have made different projects with the saw that I never thought that I would make.You may think your questions are trivial but still ask,and I am sure you will receive a answer in a short period.

Bryan

Latest posts

Back