best chuck ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortx

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to turning but have been taken by the bug so have got myself a jet mini lathe (1014) but am not sure what chuck to get.

Having looked online I have seen the supernova G3 but am not sure if the lathe would be able to power this particular chuck or if it would struggle.

If this would not suit what do people recommend I get (I am looking at turning small bowls, goblets and the odd pen)

thanks

Hi Vortx and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll get some replies but you may get more if this was posted in the 'Wood turning - lathes' section. If you PM on of the Mods I'm sure they'll move it for you.

As for the question, I can't really help much. I have an older Axminster M950 lathe that I bought second hand and that came with an Axminster 4 jaw chuck with a second set of jaws. It seems solid and works fine, but I only rarely use it.

Misterfish

I got the versachuck form toolpost and am happy with it - it is nice to know that I can get any jaws and they will fit. The final finish on the jaws was a tiny bit below par - I needed to file off a fraction of a mm on the inner mounting holes as there was a little bur from the drilling but very minor really.

Plus toolpost are a nice bunch to deal with.

Miles

miles_hot":1p18bxfu said:
I got the versachuck form toolpost and am happy with it - it is nice to know that I can get any jaws and they will fit. The final finish on the jaws was a tiny bit below par - I needed to file off a fraction of a mm on the inner mounting holes as there was a little bur from the drilling but very minor really.

Miles

thanks for that - will have a look at the versachuck

thanks for the welcome misterfish - will pm a mod ref moving the post

Hello Vortx,

A warm welcome to the forum. I have the same lathe as you - the baby Jet, and jolly good it is too.

I use a Robert Sorby chuck with my Jet. The Patriot, made in Sheffield. A nice well made chuck with lots of options for jaws, accessories etc.

Here is a link for further details;

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/patriotchuck.htm

Hope this is of interest.

All the best, Tony.

I have the patriot and can't fault it. Does exactly what it should.

wizer":1obqf6ji said:
I have the patriot and can't fault it. Does exactly what it should.

So why did you buy the SuperNova?

the lathe should be all right with most chucks, you are just adding a bit of rotational inertia, I had the fox midi for a long time and it is similar to the jet. The only problem is that a lathe that size reacts badly to out of balance loads.

I have just changed to the big Fox and the Patriot chuck and I am very happy with both, had I realised how good this chuck is I would have changed a long time ago

miles_hot":1ixzpigv said:

Miles

Hi Miles,

I've just got a Nova DVR and want a chuck so I can start making even bigger bits of firewood!

Are you still happy with the Versachuck?

Thanks,

Greg

Latest posts

Back